Comp Sci prof who doesn't think much of crypto

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by tango29, Jul 10, 2022.

1. tango29

tango29

2. The article makes it out like trading/investing crypto is based on greater fool theory, but you can make the EXACT same argument about growth-stocks. What if no orders show up at the exchange to buy shares? The book drops to zero.

orbit23 and Trader Curt like this.
  3. M.W.

M.W.

Bullshit. Study the basics of US stock exchanges and what role liquidity providers play. You seem to have been born 12 or 13 years ago. Also a company share gives you ownership in the company and voting rights. With cryptos you get nada.

4. Overnight

Overnight

No....The book stays at the last-traded price?

5. No one likes a wise-guy... :fistbump:

6. deaddog

deaddog

One thing of interest was that 80% of bitcoin mining power is controlled by 6 pools.

It must be true because it's on the internet but is there a way to verify that claim?

7. Yes, that worked out well for Enron with greater fools buying it up, now didn't it? We can argue the same thing back and forth. Basically, no one's going to change their bear/bull opinion on crypto here.

All we know from history is when crypto goes through it's hundredth down-swing, the bears all come rushing out and say "I told you so! I told you so! This is the end of crypto!"

There is a lot of shit-coins, and a lot of penny-stocks. Maybe we can at least agree on that....

8. R1234

R1234

Its just another currency pair. Only special thing is it does not belong to any country.

9. Don't need to read this
    I wrote the book

read the article anyhow. yeah, he's fukking right

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  10. Overnight

Overnight

But cryptos are not currency, in the sense of the common definition of a currency. A currency is a medium of exchange.

Cyrptos are more a catalyst between other currencies, to transfer wealth. Oy.

Until a crypto can be classified as it's own animal, with a financial ecosystem based upon it's own value, then it must rely on all other currencies to derive an intrinsic value, but will never have an absolute value, because it is not based on anything of it's own merit.

#10     Jul 10, 2022