Communist China

Discussion in 'Economics' started by oldtime, Oct 10, 2012.

1. ever notice how the only time these days anybody ever still refers to China as "Communist China" is when they are stealing one of our jobs?

J. Edgar would be proud, the fight still lives on

2. American companies and foreign companies give them jobs. They don't steal our jobs.

3. jl1575

jl1575

Why wouldn't APPLE have their iPad, iPhone made in India, Thailand or Mexico? the labor is cheap as well in those places.

4. copa8

copa8

infrastructure is not as good in those places.

5. From Krugman's blog earlier in the year:Apple And Agglomeration

The big Times article on Apple manufacturing was excellent, and I’ll have more to say about it when I have the time. One thing worth noting right away, however, is that the piece is in large part an essay on the economies of agglomeration (pdf, wonkish):

“The entire supply chain is in China now,” said another former high-ranking Apple executive. “You need a thousand rubber gaskets? That’s the factory next door. You need a million screws? That factory is a block away. You need that screw made a little bit different? It will take three hours.”
    The point is that manufacturing plants don’t exist in isolation; they benefit a lot from being part of a manufacturing cluster, with specialized suppliers and a large pool of workers with the right skills close at hand. This is the kind of stuff I emphasized in my own work on both trade and economic geography.

------------------

The links in the blogpost provides a better understanding of what's going on overseas.

6. the point was, when it suits your purposes, it is called China. When it goes against your political beliefs, it is referred to as "Communist China"

You don't hear it much these days, unless a man running for President shipped some jobs there.

Didn't mean to get once again into politics or economics.

It was just a comment on the media.

Been a long time since I heard China referred to as "Communist China"

7. maxpi

maxpi

When was any place actually practicing communism?

8. vicirek

vicirek

Khmer Rogue Cambodia / China Cultural Revolution / Stalin in Russia