Common Sense.... Boone Pickens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Despite his 500M on Oklahoma sports programs, it's still Oklahoma down there. :D They still haven't come up with another Mantle either. :p

#31     Jul 9, 2008
  2. Well I guess at 78 he was greedy enough to add 2 billion to his net worth. But your right 80 is the magic philanthropic number.

Pickens Says His Energy Campaign Isn't About His Personal Gain
    Last update: 7/9/2008 12:16:50 PM
    By Steve Gelsi
    T. Boone Pickens' investments in natural gas and wind power could pay off handsomely if his "Pickens Plan" gets adopted on the national level, but the Texas billionaire says he isn't in it for the money.
    As his $60 million public relations and advertising blitz rolls out on the Internet and cable TV, the 80-year-old Texan said Wednesday that reducing America's $700 billion annual price tag for foreign oil makes sense for everybody.
    Pickens is building a mammoth wind farm in Sweetwater, Tex., and has also launched Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (CLNE), a company that runs natural-gas filling stations for fleet vehicles.
    Both businesses could gain if U.S. policy makers move to provide more natural gas at filling stations, or if the country subsidizes new power transmission cables to help the country become the Saudi Arabia of wind.
    "I feel my plan is above...my personal endeavors," Pickens said. "This country is in a horrible position...In 10 years, we'll be importing 80% of our oil. We've gone 40 years without an energy plan. Somehow, I think that's much more important that what I personally do."
    So far, Pickens hasn't heard support for his plan from either of the two presidential candidates, but he has been moving to sign up supporters for the broader cause of shaping America's energy policy in a world of $140 a barrel oil.
    Some questioned whether boosting the use of natural-gas-powered cars would simply shift the U.S. reliance on imported oil to reliance on imported natural gas, but Pickens said the U.S. has more natural gas of its own to burn than it does crude oil.
    On Tuesday, Pickens said his plan would cut U.S. demand for oil by more than one-third in the next couple of years

#32     Jul 9, 2008
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

So what you are saying is that if your good at what you do at some point you have "too much" money and should just stop. Or, if heaven for bid you really want to continue maybe you should just turn the money over to the government? Who the hell are you to decide whats too much? If he made it honestly how is it a problem?

#33     Jul 9, 2008

4. Did I say, decide and imply all that?

This is the little I do know- is that he's a damm good trader, and he'll use every tool available.

#34     Jul 9, 2008
  5. pickensplan is only an extension of boon butt picker's massive ego.

He's trying to make a name for himself before he kicks the bucket.

#35     Jul 9, 2008
  6. Really? Cause it points to just the opposite. His plan claims Wind Power is a one time cost, when it could not be further from the truth. It claims that there is no disruption to the nearby environment when the complete opposite has been observed.

And if you are gonna use Wikipedia as a source, try checking their sources. You might find that they are extremely biased and come from organizations who depend on the Danish wind power projects and not independent research. For their 18.5% figure, they take Installed Capacity NOT Real Production. The real results are very different, which is the biggest problem with wind and is due to multiple factors that were near impossible to foresee.

Notice how Boone completely ignores any other renewables outside of Wind and Natural Gas. He is invested on the manufacturing side and wants some free government handouts.

#36     Jul 9, 2008
  7. This guy has some nerve. He unveils energy plan relying on natural gas, while he's fully invested in natural gas. And he says his energy plan isn't about his personal gain. LOL!

here's some old article:

"T. Boone Pickens is perhaps the world's greatest oil investor. He's been drilling for oil, buying oil companies and running oil-based hedge funds since 1951 and right now he's saying oil will top last year's high of $78.80 and break through $80.

Given his belief in $100 per barrel oil, Pickens is also looking for energy alternatives so he has invested in several natural gas companies. His largest position, worth $139 million, is Suncor Energy (SU).

Suncor's two main segments are oil sands, which recover oil from places where it's typically more expensive extract oil, like the tar sands of Canada, and natural gas. Suncor acquires, develops, and produces natural gas from reserves in western Canada.

Suncor trades at ten times cash flows but we don't yet know the full potential of this company. If and when oil hits $80 per barrel, oil companies will have to increasingly looking towards natural gas reserves and the Canadian tar sands for oil. Pickens is making a huge bet that this is the future of energy production."

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/invest050707_article1.html

Another one, from July of 2007:

"Natural gas will be a side-by-side transportation fuel with diesel and gasoline," Pickens told "Squawk Box." "You're going to see the same thing in the United States too. It's cleaner, it's cheaper and it's a domestic fuel in the United States."

Pickens has already placed a bet on the natural gas market, taking Clean Energy Fuels public in May. The stock slumped after pricing below its expected range, but is up sharply in the past two weeks.

Shares of Clean Energy struggled at first because the story of the company is not fully understood, Pickens said, but more people are now finding out "and they like the story."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/19824217/

#37     Jul 9, 2008
  8. There are many comparisons about LNG being greener than crude oil.

An interesting article with some information.

http://www.triplepundit.com/pages/askpablo-clean-natural-gas-002330.php

But one thing that I cannot find is the amount of CO2 that comes out of the reservoirs with the natural gas and is removed at the processing plant. When I did some work at the plant the massive CO2 scrubbers were blowing a huge amount into the air and this seems to be never considered in the CO2 emission debate with these fuels, maybe someone has more info.

http://www.efficientenergy.org/Natu...-Emissions-Reduction-Equivalent-to-70000-Cars

#38     Jul 9, 2008
  9. Cesko

Cesko

Whatever Pickens says is in the same category with Buffet's and Soros's tax comments. I don't care a bit about public comments of these assholes.

Soros: We need to regulate international finance after I made my billions.

Buffet: Imagine the huge balls he would have to have, for him (in his position) to say it's not exactly a good thing for economy to tax the wealthy.

Pickens: turning green after life long playing energy markets like a violin.

POSTURING POSTURING POSTURING

#39     Jul 9, 2008
  10. YES YES YES 100% agreed
    Just bullshit. Anybody who becomes filthy rich and then pretends to be a philanthropist afterward should never be taken at his word.

Of the three, Soros is a real shitbag in particular who should be in prison.

#40     Jul 9, 2008