Common Good?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by neophyte321, Oct 16, 2006.

1. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

Any brainiacs out there able to help me properly digest this?
    Simply, a continuation of the "It takes a village" theme?

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/16/D8KPTQSG1.html

The term is "common good," and it's catching on as a way to describe liberal values and reach religious voters who rejected Democrats in the 2004 election. Led by the Center for American Progress, a Washington think-tank, party activists hope the phrase will do for them what "compassionate conservative" did for the Republicans.

"It's a core value that we think organizes the entire political agenda for progressives," said John Halpin, senior fellow at the Center for American Progress. "With the rise of materialism, greed and corruption in American society, people want a return to a better sense of community _ sort of a shared sacrifice, a return to the ethic of service and duty."

Liberalism == Forced Volunteerism ...
    ie; an untenable philosophy.

I know the liberals here are all smiles about this... "It's about time the government start forcing people to do things for me!" I think Mao-Tse-Tung used this as a campaign slogan also.

The best thing someone could do is start a success business, hire a bunch of people, and generate lots of wealth. Not sure where this fits into the "Common Good" campaign theme... Oh yeah, that's how they justify taxing the hell out of people, hindering business to redistrubute income...

2. If your business pollutes the environment (because it lets you generate more wealth), "the commond good" concept would force you to do things the right way and dispose of your contaminated waste properly (albeit at an additional cost to you). Your business will generate a little less wealth but thousands of your neighbors will not lose their health and their lives because of your selfish and irresponsible actions. Do you simpleton understand the concept of the common good now or you need more examples?

3. Forced volunteerism?

Must kill you klannish to think of helping out your fellow man...

4. Liberals are very creative at coming up with excuses for taking other peoples' money. The "common good" is a slippery concept at best. Liberals look at capitalism and see nothing but pain, unfairness and unchecked greed. Others see it as the most efficient way ever devised of increasing the wealth of a society.

5. The inevitable result of unbriddled capitalism is that the entire society works harder and longer, creates more and more wealth and then 5% of the society pockets all of that extra wealth and more while 95% of the society are getting poorer, that's exactly what's being going on during the last 6 years and that's what liberals are fighting against.

The distribution/redistribution of wealth BTW has nothing to do with the concept of "common good".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_good

6. Yes, liberals often do see pain, unfairness, and unchecked greed...because there is unfairness, pain, and unchecked greed.

The laws that are written to protect the wealthy by the working class?

LOL!

7. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

8. It's putting lipstick on a pig IMO. The Dems are trying to tap into the religious voters by painting themselves are following the teachings of Jesus (help the poor, etc) while tarring the Reps with being only looking out for the rich.

eg: Mark 10:21:

"Jesus looking at him loved him, and said to him, "One thing you lack. Go, sell whatever you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me, taking up the cross."

Might just work this time around.

And maybe a couple years of Democrats back as the majority is what the GOP (now known as "grope our pages party") needs to win in '08.

Seneca

9. Cesko

Cesko

10. Fair enough but what business is forced to VOLUNTEER its production for the "Common Good" in the good ol' US of A? That's just not happening in this country and I doubt you can quote a single mainstream democrat or a liberal promoting these kinds of policies.

#10     Oct 17, 2006