Commodities Broker, but what next?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Papa Lazarou, Jul 27, 2010.

1. bone

bone

Evening program at a Top-10 business school and keep your existing gig if you can manage it. Check and see if your current employer has a tuition reimbursement program. If you have a few years in the field, maybe a worthwhile longshot would be to ask your employer if they would consider sponsoring you in an executive mba program.

I'm looking at this more from a broader upside potential for the duration.

#11     Aug 26, 2010
  2. HappyJoe

HappyJoe

Ok sounds good what your doing. But all i can say is without using swear words on this forum is Frick what anyone says or advises you in a negative way. If you want something go for it and let no man stand in your way.

#12     Aug 26, 2010
  3. LeeD

LeeD

That's the best advise so far!

As a broker you have lots of sales experience (that is experience with people, not with a product) and it's a good idea to capitalise on it. MBA from a leading school can open many doors including those outside finance.

I am less optimistic about "executive" MBA. Such programs are aimed at, well, current executive... i.e. people who want to learna few specific things relevant to theri current job. As such "executive" MBA lacks breadth or preassure of a traditional MBA progam and is far less valuable as a "career enhancer".

CFA is mainly for equity analysts. It is also helpful to money managers who adverstise their in-depth knowledge of fundamentals. In the latter capacity the "ethics" part of the program should not be underestimated.

If you job entails a lot of trade execution, you may also consider a job of "execution trader" in a hedge fund. There are a few of these where the fund manager has a "fundamental" view but doen't want to spend his/her own time getting teh best price or watching the stop loss.

P.S. Commodity market is currently stagnating if you compare it to the last few years of rampant growth. So, it's a good time to think of change in direction.

#13     Aug 26, 2010
  4. @ HappyJoe - Thanks for the positive words.

@ Bone - That's what I was thinking. I can't seem to find any more exams I can do other than the FSA / NFA exams I've already done, that would help me in terms of trading, but I'm a relatively young guy, with no committments, so for me it would make sense to be getting on with some form of qualification in my spare time. CFA doesn't seem to tick the right boxes for the career paths I'm likely to take, but some people have suggested that an MBa wouldn't be worth it either - but if I can get my company to pay then surely it's better than not doing anything!!

#14     Aug 26, 2010
  5. bone

bone

Well, the MBA is usually not worth it. Preface: I mean no disrespect, and I know that it's fascist and superficial, but the fact of the matter is that in our profession the name of the school attended is THE defining factor. The actual education value may end after the interview and job offer, but it is an undeniable fact.
    I mentioned the Executive MBA because you just want the path of least resistance with the least financial pain possible. IMO, the top-ten business school mantra is simply a filter or screening device used by lazy personnel executives, but the effect is undeniable and it is what it is, neither one of us decided that's the way things should be.

Here's what you do: take an inordinate amount of time and way overstudy for the GMAT. Go ahead and buy the prep classes, whatever it takes. Kill the GMAT. A great GMAT score and your experience will trump the undergrad creds the other applicants are bringing to the table.

And I know it sux, but get accepted to the best schools first and worry about paying for it later. Top three is a ticket with your experience.

#15     Aug 26, 2010