Commissions! Commissions! Commissions!

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by gimp570, Aug 1, 2007.

1. A number between .001-.002 is what I read a few days ago, Title maybe.

#21     Feb 10, 2008
  2. jbusse

jbusse

Are you getting a good short balance interest rebate at these commission levels ($0.003/share)? I pay more ($0.009-$0.01/share), but get a short rebate, such that the net of the two is approximately 0 (i.e., the total short rebate basically offsets total commissions). I have a market neutral portfolio, so my short balance is always significant. Wouldn't work for a mainly long portfolio. Also, not prop trading. I have a prime broker.

#22     Feb 10, 2008
  3. Dustin

Dustin

That's reasonable, anything lower is very good.

#23     Feb 10, 2008
  4. gimp570

gimp570

thanks for the advise!

#24     Feb 11, 2008
  5. what is the ideal rate for a brand new trader? would .006 be acceptable? how about .01?

#25     Feb 15, 2008
  6. "what is the ideal rate for a brand new trader? would .006 be acceptable?"

.006 is never acceptable. Unless you are at Maverick/towerhill/greatpoint capital or what ever they call it now. That is the only place I know that charges such outrageous rates and tries to convince their traders that .006 is the norm and that better rates don't exist.

But from what I hear they have lost most of their traders due to the fact they refused to lower rates for their top traders. Seems like someone finally called them out on their rates and they failed to take it seriously.

.002 - .003 seem to be the norm these days. Those that try to justify higher rates are scams. Any place thats charges .006 should be asked why. I would be interested to see how they justify these rates.

#26     Feb 16, 2008
  7. Reading people argue over .002 or .003, cracks me up. Serious guy these are cheap executions and traders are crying. If you took as much time focusing on great trades instead of worrying about a tenth of a penny, you might want to consider a different career.

Cheap executions, they are leveraging you out...stop crying and learn how to trade.

Of course this is my opinion.

#27     Feb 16, 2008
  8. Dustin

Dustin

A tenth cent per share would save me $3k/mo, $36k/year. That cracks you up?

#28     Feb 16, 2008
  9. Cost of doing business for being leveraged out. IMO

#29     Feb 16, 2008
  10. Oops... you just revealed something about yourself

: )

That difference can mean quite a bit of money for successful high volume traders.

#30     Feb 16, 2008