Commissions adds up in the long run

Discussion in 'Trading' started by shortbleu, Sep 1, 2011.

1. this topic has been beaten to death. here are the two most popular options. i prefer the first one since the second one means you have to pay the thieves in d.c. SE tax which in a lot of cases wipes out any benefit from reduced commissions.

trade less (increase reward/risk ratio)
    reduce commission costs (switch brokers and/or lease/buy seat on exchange

#11     Sep 2, 2011
  2. I thought this should be obvious. Commissions, slippage and spreads are what causes most retail traders to fail, they have a 50% chance of being right when they make a bet on direction but these things cut their "odds" to under 50% in the long run. Only traders with a real edge can beat these odds.

#12     Sep 2, 2011
  3. i`d rather buy more flowers to the ladies

#13     Sep 2, 2011
  4. Visaria

Visaria

Another suggestion, don't leverage up. One contract of ES is about $60k nominal (assuming ES at around 1200). Wait till you have that much in your trading acct. If you're paying about $1k per year in commission, then that only works out to less than 2% of your account.

#14     Sep 2, 2011
  5. Visaria

Visaria

Just reread your post, are you actually trying to trade to capture 1 large point or even less? If so, that is insanity.

Capturing big moves can make you rich, the small moves will make your broker rich!

#15     Sep 2, 2011
  6. dumb_mother,

32 cents/contract, is that per side or RT, how many RTs/month are you doing?

To the other poster,
    Bid ask spread also needs to be taken into acount. Now I go for larger targets and stop losses so the bid ask spead and commission affect less my results than they used to.

I moved from ES trading for 4-5 ticks, to ZF with much bigger targets (15-16 ticks), the ATR of ZF is much smaller than ES, so when I reach my target on ZF this is really a big move compared to the ATR.

I know a trader at a prop shop who trades 130 bunds per clip at EUR 10 per tick, he averages over 10,000 RT / day, or 200,000RT /month.
    Any idea what this guy might pay in commission with X trader at a prop shop, I would imagine something under EUR 0.5/RT, but I really don't know how much he pays in commish. He trades for 1 tick target and does a lot of scratches. If he pays EUR 0.5 to make EUR 10, target = 20*commish.

I aim for at least target = 40*commish.
    If I pay USD 2.7 RT as a retail trader on ZF, I aim for at least 14 ticks target (14*7.8125 = usd 109) = 40*commission

#16     Sep 2, 2011
  7. i'm not sure what my monthly RT's are because it changes as i ramp up my size, you only need to average something like 100 RT/day to make leasing a seat profitable. my breakdown is 5/5/6 for the commissions and i have membership to lower the fees to that level.

#17     Sep 2, 2011
  8. 100RT / day is nothing for a pro, did you mean 100RT per clip to lease a seat?

#18     Sep 2, 2011
  9. jokepie

jokepie

you can use numbers to prove anything, as long as you come up with them.
    If you are a profitable trader - i.e. can be profitable at the end of the day.... commission like IB's don't matter ...

#19     Sep 2, 2011
  10. na a seat lease is somewhere around 800$ / month and it saves 50 cents per RT in fees... so 1600 / month is break even which is even less than 100 RT/day.

yeah i just trained a friend of mine to trade and he's going to start trading real money next week and we are starting him off w/a lease because day 1 it still pays for itself.

we get 5/5/6 w/out the lease it is 30/5/6 a side

#20     Sep 2, 2011