Commercials being cut by NBC

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jem, Feb 28, 2018.

1. jem

jem

Good decision... but I think it will require fewer commercials than that in the long run.

I could not watch the olympics very much (I love the winter olympics) because of all the commercial breaks and all the filler they had to hold of the main events to get more commercial breaks in.

I don't know if they have gotten worse with sports coverage or I have been deconditioned by other forms of entertainment.

But, when you realize sixty minutes shows are really 41 to 43 minutes shows... there is just to much noise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nbcu-cuts-ad-time-in-original-prime-time-shows-by-10-1519837249

Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal is reducing the number of commercials that air during its prime-time television shows, an effort to boost the value of its advertising as consumers increasingly avoid ads and replace traditional TV with new streaming options.

The company on Wednesday announced plans to cut the number of advertisements in commercial breaks by 20% and to decrease advertising time by 10% during its original prime-time programming across its broadcast and cable networks. That means viewers will get to watch more programming during those shows.

The reduction in number of commercials doesn’t exactly match up to the reduction in ad time because the company is also introducing a new feature for marketers. NBCU announced a new 60-second commercial pod in the first or last break of a show that will be dedicated to up to two advertisers. The goal is to create a “stronger impact with viewers,” NBC said in a statement.

more at link...

2. I seldom watch any shows or sports in real time. I'll DVR it, if only for a half hour or so, so I can skip the endless ads.

Clubber Lang likes this.