Comments on eSignal 7.x and above

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chuck_T, May 16, 2003.

1. paradox

paradox

Err...isn't this what backups are for?

#11     May 16, 2003
  2. "Err...isn't this what backups are for?"

That's for sure!

Here it is from eSignal:

Unfortunately, we have some short-term bad news to report regarding our expansion plans for intraday history. We have been storing intraday history data since Jan 02 in preparation of altering our servers to support more than the current 60 trading days worth of interval data.

The development database storing this history has become corrupted and all the data has been lost. Since this server was not in our normal production environment, we had not put all our usual back-up procedures in place. We realize that increasing our intraday history is very important to our users so we sincerely apologize for the delay in providing this to you.

So here's where we stand today. We have data stored since the beginning of Feburary and we will make sure all our standard back-up procedures are in place. We are planning to release the expanded history data effective the beginning of July, 2003. At that point, we will be able to provide 5 months worth of history or 100 trading days - roughly 2/3 more data than we provide today. From that point on, we will keep adding to the database until we reach 2 years of intraday history.

Regarding tick history, our intention was to continue to provide 10 days worth. Due to several user requests and in light of this situation, we are trying to expand that to 15 days. We should have confirmation on whether that's possible w/in a few weeks.

Once again, please accept our apologies for this delay and thank you for your continued patience.

Thanks.

#12     May 16, 2003
  3. I'd like to see some sort of real time hotlist available. Probably one of the best features of QCharts. And no, Market Scanner will not do(browser based,not real time dynamically updated)

If there is no possibility of this being added, just tell me now so I can quit asking about it and move on.

Thanks.

#13     May 16, 2003
  4. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

Yea, we goofed on the backups but the project isn't dead. 7.4 should release the software to extent the intraday data and then we'll release whatever we do have at that time. After that we'll see what we can do to add more.

We are in the process of adding 5 years more of UK daily data. We have 3 now. That will be released in June.

On the Asia / Pacific exchanges, we will release 7 years of daily data when they launch in 7.4.

On the scanners - we will be incorporating them into the eSignal windows environment so they will update continuously (to be more hot lists like). I don't have a release date on this currently.

As you can see, we have multiple teams, multiple projects, working globally on these new product releases.

Chuck
    @eSignal

#14     May 16, 2003
  5. lescor

lescor

Spread charts available as candle or bar charts. Line charts suck! This is the only thing keeping me from making the jump from qcharts.

#15     May 17, 2003
  6. How much bandwith does the esignal program take up if I only want to use 2 charts?

How does esignal gets its futures data?

thanks..

#16     May 17, 2003
  7. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

For a few charts eSignal would use very little bandwidth. I don't have an exact number but after it starts up and get the charts loaded it would be very low. Varies by what symbols you are watching and how active they are.

All Futures feeds are direct, and so are all the stock, options, and FX feeds. Our parent company purchased Comstock - has over 180 exchanges - we will be supporting all of them we don't currently carry by year end.

Chuck
    @eSignal

#17     May 17, 2003
  8. MrDinky

MrDinky

I didn't know they could do spreads, even on a line chart.

#18     May 17, 2003
  9. Hi Chuck

I still can't help thinking that opening up the package to be able to use locally held data would be a good idea, and giving people the ability to store data locally would ease pressure on the servers.

It's less the real time data connection that is the problem, but rather more the downloading of the historical which can take seemingly for ever where more than a few days worth is being requested.

Also it would give the ability ro be able to access locally held files for backtesting years of tick data and not just 10 days wirth, which of course doesn't need to be downloaded, but rather a file opened and accessed by the program.

Data could be added to those files to keep them up to date, and new files could be downloaded, so switching onto a new instrument it not so much of a problem, becasue you just download that into a file on your machine and work from there (being able to keep it up to date maybe with a weekly or daily or whatever update routine...

Personally I can only see plus sides to it. It would certainly solve the problem of how much data you hold on your servers as instantly available (as opposed to downloadable in a zip file).

Probably never happen like that though... (which will mean that it will always be slow and limited to get back data for testing and research... ) - yes I hear what you are saying about increasing but note you still are maintaining the 10 day thing on tick data...

rgds

Natalie

#19     May 17, 2003
  10. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

Natalie,

Actually we have been thinking about this some. We have updated an End Of Day product for stand alone Advanced GET users that stores data locally- eSignal Wizard. It has a few updates to go through to cover international exchanges, etc. But we were think of merging the two together so customers could run eSignal to test and scan "offline".

The problem becomes fixing bad quotes later and handling splits, etc. So we might go that way at some point.

Chuck

#20     May 17, 2003