Comfortable and egronomic yet priced right (less than $500) chair for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Jan 30, 2018.

1. aldrums

aldrums

Tasty

#11     Jan 31, 2018
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Both my doctors and a occupational therapist recommended this to me during my rehab from a serious illness in the fall of 2016.

I've used a standing desk in the past when doing non trading work. Now I use it for trading related work too.

Also, I had a serious sports back injury in my early 20's. No matter the type of exercise to strengthen my back (I still have a six pack stomach) now in my late 40's and healthy lifestyle...the back problem was always an issue and several scans in my early 40's concluded I needed back surgery to repair the damage.

Back surgery back then was recommended by three different osteopathic medical doctors.

I never had the surgery due to personal reasons involving my family.

Then something strange happen...the fall of 2016 when I became ill from pneumonia...I had a lot of tests while I was in a coma for several months. During that time, my family mentioned to the doctors about the herniated disc I've been suffering from since my early 20's.

Doctor responded there's "no herniated disc". Family was shocked and confused. During rehab after the coma...learning how to walk again and strengthening my leg muscles...there was one more full body scan and another type of scan specific for the lower lumber area in my back...

Once again..."no herniated disc".

I've concluded the resting state in bed during the coma for a few months had healed my back but the doctors stated if that was the case...there would still be evidence of a herniated disc. There was no evidence beyond the xrays still on file at the same hospital that showed the herniated disc from years earlier.

I've been using a standing work desk ever since...now nearing my 50th birthday...this is the first time since my early 20's I've been free of severe back problems. More active today in comparison to the past 10 years and just returned from a vacation of extreme winter hiking/camping. Also, I do 3x more stretching and exercise specific to my lower lumbar while standing up in comparison to doing work at my desk while sitting down.

The other noticeable difference between doing work while sitting versus standing...for me it was the sleep habits. I fall asleep easier and sleep better at night after a day of using my standing desk in comparison to the past when I did the exact same work while sitting at a desk. This is a very important thing for me as a trader...getting a good night rest prior to a day of trading. Simply, the standing work desk for me has minimized the stress.

Thus, I think it depends upon your health, injuries and overall condition...always see your doctor for any health related problems especially a occupational therapist. Follow their recommendations.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    #12     Jan 31, 2018
    Sprout, happyscalpie and fordewind like this.
  3. DaveV

DaveV

I also notice that I am much more active when standing all day, than on those days when I trade away from home and sit at a desk. My FitBit confirms this. The first few weeks of standing while working was very tiring, but now my body is used to it.

#13     Jan 31, 2018
  4. @wrbtrader & @DaveV how many screens do you use?

what eye level do you setup your screens for your standing desk? eg. optimal eye level for sitting seems to be eye level slightly above middle of screen for a 1 row setup

#14     Jan 31, 2018
  5. DaveV

DaveV

I usually use 3 screens. For my main screen which is a 24" in portrait mode, the height is set so that my middle of the screen lines up with my eyes.
    For my other two monitors, both in landscape mode, the the top of the screens are just below eye level. Not ideal, but raising them higher would block my view of out of the window in front of my desk, especially since the view is of the ocean.

#15     Jan 31, 2018
    happyscalpie likes this.
  6. All my trading and even gaming chairs were less than $500 that's for sure. I recommend you to go not for trading chair but for computer gaming, it's much more better and costs less. Otherwise trading ones simply put the label for forex and increase the price for too big;)

#16     May 23, 2019