coments on david landry trading style

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by optijose, May 1, 2003.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

This thread was abandoned for two+ months, so perhaps we could go back to the original post since the name of the thread hasn't changed.

How exactly is the "Dave Landry style" defined and what sets it apart from other trading styles?

#21     Jul 23, 2003
  2. I'm assuming you're getting your "sales rank" from amazon.
    The book sells for 20% less on www.mgordonpub.com (the publisher) and other places on the web. So people are buying it elsewhere (I haven't checked lately, but there used to be links on Amazon itself for cheaper places). It was the publisher's number 1 selling book for the first two years after it was published and continues to sell okay for a book that was written nearly 3-years ago. It was just re-published in Italian and Russian. There is a possibility that it will also be published in German. The publisher is obviously pleased. This is why they asked me to do a follow up. I think we have beat this issue to death.

Now can we talk about trading?
    Dave

#22     Jul 23, 2003
  3. opw

opw

That would be nice. I am not familiar with your trading style. Would you be willing to discuss your strategy? From what I understand it is swing trading. But do you watch positions intraday?

#23     Jul 23, 2003
  4. jem

jem

He likes to be a trend following moron. (this was a bit of a sarcastic joke used by DL for a long time. It was kind of funny). His belief is it is easier to trade in the direction the the trend. He also looks to the sectors for leadership

Most of the usefull stuff from mgordon in those expensive books is a variation of gann pullbacks or pivot entry into highly trending stocks using adx as a filter. Most of the stuff is worth knowing. But to make money with it you have to be a good trader and a good market reader. Just following entries blind will probably hurt. (Read money management and good market reading)

It is swing trading with stops and profit taking targets or perhaps a trailing stop on the last piece.

P.S. to not be too negative I should say those expensive books were probably were worth it to me when they first came out.

#24     Jul 23, 2003
  5. Opw,
    I have a report (acutally a forum) I can put into PDF titled "Getting Started In Monentum based swing trading"......
    Email me if you need a copy....and I'll be happy to answer your questions after you read it.

Dave

#25     Jul 23, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Sure. As I asked, what is the "Dave Landry style" and what distinguishes it from all the other styles I mentioned?

--Db

#26     Jul 23, 2003
  7. It's momentum based swing trading. I'm sure its similar to other styles mentioned on these boards. Essentially you look for a trend and then a place to enter it (e.g. a pullback or pullback related pattern...there are also transitional patterns, but lets keep it simple for this introduction). Momentum is key. It will do exceptionally well during trending/persistent markets and will under perform (guaranteed) during choppy markets.
    It's also important to study sectors and market action. This way, you have a 3-pronged approach: Maket-sector-stocks.

Ideally, you press a little in momentum markets and back off when things begin to chop around. I think a prior post alluded to this.

Dave

#27     Jul 23, 2003
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I guess I'm not explaining myself very well, so I'll give it one more try, then leave it alone.

Everyone who trades swings relies on momentum. If there's insufficient momentum, the trade won't work. Lo, Raschke, Farley, Velez and so forth all have essentially the same approach and the same setups. Is your approach essentially the same as theirs and your setups essentially the same as theirs? If not, what distinguishes your approach and setups, i.e., what makes you different from all the thousands of "momentum-based swing traders"?

#28     Jul 23, 2003
  9. Wouldn't Dave have to post part of his book here to get you the answer you're looking for dbphoenix ?

#29     Jul 23, 2003
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I don't think so. There's plenty of info at Brandon's site, RealityTrader.com, and the sites of all the other people I've mentioned on philosophy and setups at the very least. I went to davelandry.com, but there was nothing there but a link to a source for the book, to an alert service, and to a trial of TradingMarkets.com and so on. So I don't think it's unreasonable, particularly since he's not an advertiser, to ask what distinguishes him from all these other people. Or perhaps someone who has studied his material can explain how his setups are different from the usual retracement/breakout/test setups that everyone uses.

If the moderator thinks these are unreasonable questions, I won't pursue them. But I hope Nitro doesn't stumble onto the thread :p

#30     Jul 23, 2003