coments on david landry trading style

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by optijose, May 1, 2003.

1. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Given that his book costs $100, it's certainly a subject of interest.

#11     Jul 22, 2003
  2. jem

jem

I have nothing against Dave Landry but would like to say I have heard the same. But knowing his techniques I would think he would not have had a problem until say april 2000. If I remember the time when the market stopped following thru as much.

#12     Jul 22, 2003
  3. Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. :)

My policy is and always has been NOT to comment on the childish behaviors of others.

In fact, this is my first and likely my last public comment I will make on any such matters.

As a trader, I know that my largest drawdown will always be ahead of me. Since I’m aware of this, I would NEVER take a shot at another trader. And, I can’t imagine why any trader would.

I lay my market calls out each and every day for the whole world to see. I think I write as clearly as anyone I’ve ever seen—so there’s no question. Some calls are good, some calls are bad and some are indifferent. They are archived and serve as a permanent record of how I am approaching the markets.

As far as my book, this is the only business I know of where you get criticized for writing a book. As far as getting rich from a book, call any publisher and ask what the author’s cut is. Unless your Grisham or Rowling, I think you’ll be surprised that it isn’t very much.

Can we get back to talking trading now?

Dave

#13     Jul 23, 2003
  4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The question was why it costs $100 when books of this type generally sell for around $40. What makes it worth more than twice as much?

#14     Jul 23, 2003

5. The publisher (www.mgordonpub.com) set the price (but has in more recent times kept it on sale). I suppose it was because "trading manuals" (vs. mainstream general knowledge type books) were going for that price and higher at the time. I have several manual type books in my office that I paid $150-$175 (and higher).

I do believe you get what you pay for though
    .....However, when I do a follow up, I will push for something in the $40-$50 range to help avoid such criticism.

Now can we talk about trading?

Dave

#15     Jul 23, 2003
  6. Daal

Daal

My god.
    I love this board.
    Gurus, authors, trading 'genius' get bashed day and night.
    Its almost unfair. About my quote in the beginning of this post.
    Well it doesnt reflect what I really think about dave
    In case you reading this, well, I was actually enjoying some of the things you write.
    There are so many boring authors on tm that I stopped reading that a long time ago(ie haggerty).
    Btw, what happened with optional77 and don bright fight, I took a time off of this board.

#16     Jul 23, 2003
  7. Yes. Let's get back to trading!

#17     Jul 23, 2003
  8. gms

gms

I'm not here to stick up for anyone mind you, but just to add a point about book prices, having authored a book myself (though not in this field): that the publisher not only sets the retail price (usually based on what books of that type typically go for in the stores), but the publisher's editor's job is to get the author to write a book that justifies the price. So the editor usually wants things like more pages, diagrams and more written on popular parts. They want something people will buy and not return. Regarding trading books specifically, they can't judge whether the strategies and methods are highly effective, and so that has as much bearing on the book's price as does the cost of it's material and printing.

#18     Jul 23, 2003
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I'm not bashing anybody, just curious. The only other "popular" trading book I know of that sells for $100 plus is Street Smarts. And given the sales rank of the Landry book, it isn't exactly flying off the shelves. If asking what makes it worth $100 is not a legitimate question, when Elder, Farley, etc, etc, sell for less than half that price, then skip it.

#19     Jul 23, 2003
  10. I think it was worth the money. I made a lot of trades based on the setups in his book and it paid for itself many times over.

#20     Jul 23, 2003