Comcast is putting a data cap on its internet plans — and people aren't pleased

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dealmaker, Oct 8, 2016.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

2. dealmaker

dealmaker

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I was just talking to a guy last night who's job is working in the mobile data speed business. He said it's all a bunch of semantics at the end of the day, because even if a company says they will provide an "Unlimited Data Plan", they will severely drop the speed of a user's connection once that user goes passes a threshold of data that would be considered excessive. So no matter whether you are on an unlimited data plan or a plan with a predefined amount of data included, you're going to basically get what you pay for in the end either way.

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

I can be wrong but I thought Supreme Court recently ruled against either Verizon or AT&T that unlimited means unlimited and not subject to caps.

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That's correct. Unlimited data means unlimited data, but it doesn't have to be unlimited data at high speed.

dealmaker likes this.
  6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The guy I spoke with said the problem is that 4% of the users drain over 40% of the bandwidth, and mainly because they were using their "unlimited" data plans to host gaming servers, file sharing servers for music and movies, and all kinds of other distribution services that a cell connection was never intended to be used for.

7. dealmaker

dealmaker

It seems there is abuse but Comcast should go after those users not punish all...

I have erred AT&T got off on a technicality but apparently it's not over yet...

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-08-30/a-bad-ruling-for-those-who-want-to-throttle-at-t

8. dealmaker

dealmaker