Comcast ,,|,,(-_-),,|,,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nikolov09, Dec 29, 2008.

1. I'm in Chicago and have had no issues with my Comcast internet service in 3+ years. Used to be near Southport/Diversey now near Clark/Fullerton.

Must be something in your immediate neighborhood....

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything else that is a good alternative. RCN is worse so Comcast is the lesser of two evils.

#11     Jan 2, 2009
  2. bighog

bighog Guest

When in the Chicago area i would suggest you contact a really smooth, calm, collected, patient and surely level headed guy that always remains cool on the stool when dealing with cable etc nitwits.

CHI_BOND_ KING is just that fella, the ghostbusters have nothing on him as a problem solver.

So the next time you get your shorts all bundled up and need help, give cbk a call, for a bottle of some good top drawer firewater your problem will be over. :)

PS: I had charter cable out this morning and guess what? Yep, they can not seem to understand what is wrong with the internet connection. The digital signal from the same cable is fine. The DSL connection from AT&T (Anal Turds & Toe-jam) started dropping last week and when up the connection is slow. i just can not win when it comes to connections.

PS: CBK, all in fun :D

#12     Jan 3, 2009
  3. Bob111

Bob111

just got my tv bill from this f* company..
    up 30+% from previous month. no changes been made in services..
    i'm ready to switch to either fios tv or dish network.
    fu* you comcast..

#13     Jan 3, 2009
  4. wow i've had comcast for a while here in Boston and they seem great (or equal/better than others). They still have their customer service outsourced in CAN - but I rarely need them.

They ran new wires from the pole to the house when we had trouble and were timely and very nice - only issue is that the town I live in has several roads named all the same... there are 5 "Adams" street, ave, road, court, etc. and they soemtimes get lost

I do pay for a "business class" line though

#14     Jan 11, 2009
  5. I have never <b>EVER</b> run into a more incompetent firm than Comcast. I fought with them for months to get my connection fixed. It has been running smoothly for about 4 months, which means one thing ----- <b>IT'S DUE.</b> Comcast is just horrible!

#15     Jan 11, 2009
  6. wow - i'll just consider myself lucky & knock on wood then :D

#16     Jan 11, 2009
  7. ATT DSL has been working for me for over 5 years ... never had a problem. I highly recommend it.

I do have Comcast for TV, and I had a recent experience trying to get a second cable box which was complicated by them not knowing their own equipment (gave me the wrong box). If there were an alternate cable company in my area I would definitely switch.

#17     Jan 11, 2009
  8. I use Comcast with Motorola modem. Due to oxidation from heat changes, I need to power cycle the modem once in a while by unplugging the modem cable. If the cable is directly connected to your modem, that is no splitter involved, then you need only disconnect the cable from the back of the modem and restart. However, if the cable is connected via a splitter, you must disconnect the cable from there.

You might also find some useful info about power cycle here:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8468303

#18     Jan 11, 2009
  9. Ok, I'll add my Comcast story.

For the last several weeks, it would get to around 12:15 EST, and bingo, down goes my connection.

They came out, and it just so happened they sent a tech whom we know socially. He actually gave us a new modem, telling us about the reburbished bullshit, too. Since we knew him, he did some other hocus-pocus with the connection, and basically said call HIM if it happens again.

Well, it happens now, but on an unpredictable basis. At least the old way I could plan for it around 12:15.

I'd switch in a minute, but the only other choice is ATT DSL - maybe we'll get the fiber-optic option offered some day...

#19     Jan 11, 2009
  10. I am just outside Chicago city limits, and have ATT DSL. Its reliability is extremely good, even with streaming quotes 24x7. I am happy with it. However, your mileage may vary.

I am looking at finding something else as a dual (back-up) internet connection, however and can't see any other options besides Comcast. (I'm not expecting to need the backup but, as they say, the time to fix the roof is when the sun is shining, not during a storm).

#20     Jan 12, 2009