Combine Trendiness and Volatility

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by BENG, May 11, 2006.

1. Closest thing to the holly grail I have ever heard..... congrats !!

#11     May 11, 2006
  2. I don't use my thumb when I click the mouse... :(

#12     May 12, 2006
  3. BENG

BENG

Thanks agpilot, that would be a quick fix, but not exactly what I want to measure. It would be good for stock picking, but I want to rank different markets based on one measurement.

Much appreciate for your input.

#13     May 12, 2006
  4. BENG

BENG

Thanks FaderTrader, I've tried this, and not be able to make money by creating a mechanical strategy for it. However, I personally can trade this method and make money.

Though not what I'm looking for, but thanks for the input.

#14     May 12, 2006
  5. BENG

BENG

Any other input?

I guess for those who know, don't want to post their secret. I can understand.

Any hint from the pro? TIA!

#15     May 16, 2006
  6. There is no such thing as secrets in trading. There are just some things that some have found that matches their abilities. Drives me crazy when some think there could be such an animal as a secret in a game like this that has been dissected, sliced and diced for over a hundred years. All the computer power combined will not help either, sure it is a valuable tool.
    The "MIND" of each and every individual is where the answers lie, once traders realize that, then and only then can they begin to win. Many will never get to that point simply because they think the game is difficult and complicated. The "MIND" is NOT simple but indeed it can make things complicated if you let it.

#16     May 16, 2006
  7. great post...

#17     May 16, 2006
  8. BENG

BENG

Not sure how your post will solve my question. I'm profitable doing discretionary trading, but I'm now searching for some hints on how to rank different markets based on the number of days in a trend and the volatility within that trend.

I currently do not know any method to quantify such thing in one number. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had tried to solve such a problem. My human mind can notice the difference, but I want to quantify it.

If you know how to approach this issue, please feel free to post your input here.

If you don't believe in building trading models, then I can understand your frustration. Using human mind is the easy way out, afterall, no programming effort is needed to understand how the brain quantifies the market.

Assume someone had accomplished what I mentioned, I considered that a "secret", not a secret to make money, but a secret method to quantify trendiness and volatility within that trend.

Please let me know if my original question is not clear to you. Thanks.

#18     May 16, 2006