College up 100% since 2000 VS healthcare of 55%

Discussion in 'Economics' started by noob_trad3r, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Bob111

Bob111

+1

#11     Feb 8, 2013
  2. if I had a kid today, I would tell him in high school, you go ITT tech and I'll pay for it. After you get a job and a place of your own, you can go to a real college part time on your own dime. Or if you want to trade, you'll at least have some money coming in to fund your account and your new education.

as for healthcare, a co op of like minded families who eat right, don't smoke (except a little pot) and don't drink and drive or bungee jump. If your kid breaks his arm falling out of a tree, that's your problem. If your child needs an expensive operation or treatment, we will all chip in and pay for it.

#12     Feb 8, 2013
  3. piezoe

piezoe

This is not going to happen. The average bachelors degree may very well eventually cost 250K, but when we reach that point your entry level job will pay closer to 100K than 30K.

What we have going on right now is a combination of public education being moved, by the back door, to the private sector in small steps (a bad idea in my personal opinion) combined with inflation. Put these two trends together and you find that public institutions have just barely kept pace with real inflation, if that.

Private institutions are just that, private. They can charge whatever he market will bear, which is not without limit.

#13     Feb 8, 2013
  4. For my daughters senior year in HS she is able to take two courses for college credit at $450 a pop. whether it's a good deal or not the advantage is in taking them in HS.
    ----------------

Had to laugh, one of her course choices requires her to subscribe to the NY Times. Not sure what to make of this. I told her to ask if she can just bring in a copy of the NY Post. :D

Perhaps the Times is more favorable to the teachers unions, Obama and everything sugar and spice.

#14     Feb 8, 2013
  5. you fail to evalutate the proper value of that education.

in the old days it was just a place to make connections

your father's friends and my father's friends

like I said, I worked in the computer industry

and whenever a kid came in with a computer science degree from some university and thought he was hot shit he got laughed at.

Like the boss (Ross Perot) said, "By the time they printed it in the textbook you learned it from it was already obsolete."

The funny thing was, anybody that was a pilot in the South Vietnamese Army got an automatic job, no questions asked.

#15     Feb 8, 2013
  6. zdreg

zdreg

"The funny thing was, anybody that was a pilot in the South Vietnamese Army got an automatic job, no questions asked."

damn right considering how the US deserted their South Vietnamese allies.
    [​IMG]

#16     Feb 8, 2013
  7. That is incorrect.

Did wages double since 2010? College degree cost did but wages did not double, Average starting wages are just touching 2.5-3%

That is the problem, the College degree hyperinflation is totally disconnected with the economy.

#17     Feb 8, 2013
  8. it actually wasn't that funny

I had people on my team who were both North and South

They didn't get along very well

#18     Feb 8, 2013
  9. zdreg

zdreg

it is not disconnected. the demand curve has shifted upwards.
    if one thinks about it, one can think of many reasons for the demand shift.
    that is not inflation if other prices goes down and the general price level is generally unchanged.

#19     Feb 8, 2013
  10. piezoe

piezoe

If you meant to refer to grade hyperinflation, I might somewhat agree. But I think you meant to refer to "hyperinflation" in tuition. That hasn't happened. The data shows that when the reduction in public subsidies of our public institution is combined with the real inflation rate, public institutions have barely kept even with inflation in spite of rising tuition. Whereas you state that tuition increases are "totally disconnected with the economy," the reality is that in our public institutions they are very closely coupled to the economy!"

There is no hyperinflation of tuition. Not yet anyway. As I have pointed out numerous times, the conclusions reached are very sensitive to the inflation rate used in the calculations.

#20     Feb 8, 2013