College Senior

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lgaines, Feb 21, 2007.

1. lgaines

lgaines

I am a senior in college and am interested in hearing what some experienced have to say about starting a career as a commodities trader at Archer Daniels Midland.

I want to eventually trade for a living, but understand that I still have a lot to learn. Would I be better off learning at a prop firm or would it be better to start off somewhere like ADM?

Also, what would exit opportunities from ADM look like? I'm sure I wouldn't have the capital or experience necessary to begin trading for a living after a few years at ADM, so what would some possible opportunities be?

Would it make sense to go to a prop trading firm or I-bank after this and, if so, would a prop firm or I-bank even want me?

As you can probably tell, I'm relatively new to trading and very new to this site, so if this question needs to be on a different board, please let me know and I will move it.

I appreciate your help.

2. Go to ADM. The grains are a great niche to learn. You can apply the technicals to the financials, currencies, etc. and the fundementals to the exotics. You can't find a better path then learning the grains. Cut your teeth, sit at the booth in Chicago or KC. Lots of fund guys come out of there.

Take that from a guy who grew up in Iowa hanging out at the coop to watch the board, really a chalkboard, then the monochrome monitor.

3. lgaines

lgaines

Thanks, does anyone else have an opinion... or should I have posted this on a different forum?

4. Always risk other people's capital when you learn how to trade. In business school they always teach you invest other people's money. Then, when you establish yourself as a profitable trader you can trade with your own money as a customer.