College Question

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sportmatt37, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Ha Yes indeed I did apply there but unfortunetly I was not accepted. Of course, I am going to try to keep a high GPA up at Maryland (4.0 If i work hard enough) and then try to transfer there.

When I visted Wharton, It was like a dream. The place is amazing, the classes are amazing, and its amazingly hard to get into!

Good luck to you and maybe I'll see you in a couple of years!

#31     Apr 22, 2006
  2. When I visited I was blown away. And I am not usually taken like that. It was that visit that made me decide to finish schooling. I was totally shocked when I was accepted. :)

#32     Apr 22, 2006
  3. That's awesome are you planning on doing four years?

#33     Apr 22, 2006
  4. As much as I'd love to, no. I am in the Executive Weekend program. It's a two year weekend session thing. Basically I'll be flying into town every other weekend. My girlfriend (professional speaker/trainer) and I have talked of getting a furnished apartment and basing some of our business stuff out of there for the term. She's extremely supportive in this venture.

I currently live in Chicago and Dallas. I'll be cutting down my Chicago travel way down and adding in the school destination. :)

#34     Apr 22, 2006
  5. awesome, if you dont mind me asking what is your proffession?

#35     Apr 22, 2006
  6. Not at all. I am a computer tech. I have had my own shop going on now for 18+ years. I'm also an investor in stocks (duh) and real estate. :)

#36     Apr 22, 2006
  7. If you don't have the right schools and you don't have the right connections, - never underestimate the ability to tell a good story.

If you can tell a good story, especially if it involves some well known Wall Streeter and crack people up - you'll be surprised how easily they'll warm to you and try to help you out.

People on the Street love gossip about the rich and powerful in the business world.

#37     Apr 22, 2006
  8. Check over in the Italian market area for a trinity house. The top floor would make a good place to work and spread out. The area is convenient to Penn ancillary support services.

If I had to pick the most enjoyable student group at Wharton it would be the "retreads". We didn't consider "retread" as a negative term, it was more like "at last these guys can get what we are instilling". Some of your courses will be flexible enough in content, that you will be able to, collectively, really get down on results oriented stuff.

Wharton is a two way street. There is a continuous pressure on faculty to connect "product" to problem solvers. It is a worldwide networking op. For whatever reasons, Wharton staff spends a lot of time defing problems and then doing hand offs to the right shaped pegs to fit in the holes.

Each time you get to use your personal experience to demonstrate your understanding of the assignments go for it. Faculty will foster connecting with you for everyone's mutual benefit.

Textbooks are fun and piles of them are used but processing problems to acquire knowledge is what the faculty uniquely supports. Sometimes a class would materialize that just wouldn't quit. Wharton students are allowed to work as hard as they desire. This self setting standard is what drives the faculty instructional goals. There is no chance of student failure at Wharton. It is a ball for everyone involved.

The Adjuncts have the best deal. It is like dropping into the best work party in town a for a couple of days a week. The work done in between by students is unbelievable. Your cycle (twice a month for a couple of days) will just be a continous delivery of work ball. Its another world. Between the readers and the Adjuncts you will be getting stellar prompt critical feedback to push you forward.

#38     Apr 22, 2006
  9. PS. I am not the Jack Hershey currently on the Wharton faculty. I am old and retired...and was a Grad Faculty Adjunct from UCSC on Market.

#39     Apr 22, 2006
  10. Maryland

1) doesn't really matter where you go to school unless its top Ivy league, MIT, or Stanford. Its all connections anyway.

2) College is so much damn fun that I feel sorry for anyone who blows it off (assuming they could have gone in the first place). It was the best time of my life by far. I spent a week at Maryland visiting a fellow frat buddy, and that place rocked!!!

Go to school even if it does nothing for your career.

Btw, I went to Utah. Yep, Utah. Fun as hell.

Jay

#40     Apr 22, 2006