College Question

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by sportmatt37, Apr 18, 2006.

1. timmyz

timmyz

i think the best and most practical course of action for you right now would be to make sure you get good grades in your freshman and sophomore year, then try to transfer to a tier I school.

#21     Apr 19, 2006
  2. if by "tier I" you mean ivy league...and your heart is truely into it...i'd say thats the best advice yet

#22     Apr 19, 2006
  3. tomcole

tomcole

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to work for a Tier 1 firm, doing high level work, try to get to an Ivy school as soon as possible and maintain a 3.6+, 3.8+ if you want the best jobs.

If you're Ok with mid-level jobs, and dont want to go to NY, stay at the schools you mentioned and maintain a 3.8+, go to law school and get a good job in corp finance. Being a trader isnt a sure-fire road to riches.

There is a veritable graveyard of resumes of folks who think a 3.2 from a state school will get a decent job in finance. If you hear about the friend of a nephew who knew so and so, and now makes millions, be sure and ask how many others got sunk trying to get there. The sample size is amazingly large.

#23     Apr 19, 2006

4. You mean Paul Tudor Jones? Is an undergrad degree all he has? The guy probably made another billion in commodities recently.

#24     Apr 20, 2006
  5. Or ticket to the rat race.

#25     Apr 20, 2006
  6. UVA has the most arrogant, self- absorbed and pretentious undergrads I've ever seen. Either it was different when Paul Tudor Jones went there or he was blessed not to be marred for life. The school is highly overrated even in state. Virginia Tech is just as good in the sciences. William and Mary is probably better in the humanities. Washington and Lee, a private school, is better for networking and honing one's sense of entitlement. Oh, and I grew up in VA and got into UVA.

#26     Apr 20, 2006
  7. burntem

burntem

YOU ARE ON THE WRONG WEBSITE MY FRIEND THE PEOPLE HERE ARE NOT TRADING IN THE WAY YOU HOPE TO. Try albourne village.com, wallstreetheat.com and vault.com if you want a real job as they say this is not the website for you. I'm very serious. Do some more research into trading there is a difference amongst traders. This website will lead you down the wrong path as an 18 year old just starting out. Try the corporate world if you don't fit in or hate it in some other way come back here and get involved. Guys leave this kid alone seriously! By the way tier one is all that matters if you want a serious finance job in a place like Manhattan. Your schools are not tier one so get really good grades so you can interview with the big boys (i.e Goldman, Citigroup, Lehman, DE Shaw, etc). Good luck! This website will not help you get on the right path as an executive, I promise.

#27     Apr 21, 2006
  8. ech15

ech15

i'll look to transfer school in 2nd year to school in nyc.. or to one of the ivys. the banks you want to work for comes to ivy campus to recruit, throw parties and such. ivy has a tight alumni relationship and try very hard to place their students into one of these banks. coming out of non ivy, its extremely difficult to join ibank unless you work as support in back office duty or in accounting.

#28     Apr 21, 2006
  9. Thanks for the insight

#29     Apr 22, 2006
  10. You are already starting properly in your pursuit. And you're asking questions (at Elite?) to get some further insight in the arena of practicers. You're working at Knight Equity under Mr. Acampora? Enjoy the training there! What a lesson in reality he can give you.

Whichever school you choose, your motto, high GPA!!!! Many moons ago I attended Georgia Tech, I didn't finish (I lasted 2-1/2 years before capitalistic goals took me away). And I have not suffered for it either. What I am saying is, do your best, get the knowledge, let the sheepskin come as it may.

Now with the years creeping up, I am re-enrolling. It's a personal thing. But it's at a new locale. So I'll speak up for my new school. Have you applied to Wharton, University of Pennsylvania? I'd love to see you as a fellow student. :)

#30     Apr 22, 2006