College May Become Unaffordable for Most in U.S.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

many kids don't go to college as it is NOW....That's why there needs to be a shift in the way we teach our elementery and High schoolers..

#21     Dec 4, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

There's a fair amount of that now. And it seems overpriced to me.

Also, it would be easy to slack off...

#22     Dec 4, 2008
  3. Cheer up John, they had 48B

regards
    f9

#23     Dec 4, 2008
  4. Internet does not take the place of teachers....hopefully enhances at school....at home....

More beef in the cheeseburger......

You see it.....

More work....

More innovation....

Imagine the increased level of innovation.....

Had the internet commenced 100 years ago....

Kids speaking 3 or 4 languages......

Idea creation because of exposure....

Every book....best prof .....at your keyboard....

Now look forward.....

Now compare the level of innovation with/without....

#24     Dec 4, 2008
  5. Are you seriously suggesting segregating sex and higher education.

Who would have ever thought of that ...

regards
    f9

#25     Dec 4, 2008
  6. Judge Smails said it best, " Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too!"

#26     Dec 4, 2008
  7. The best employees in most businesses are the ones that are intelligent and will work hard. How can you tell if someone is intelligent or works hard just from a resume or an interview? A degree is proof that a person has these qualities. In that case it doesn't matter much if the things a person learned for a degree apply to the job.

#27     Dec 4, 2008
  8. Law of the Universe - - - there's no free lunch. If input costs are similiar in Europe to what they are in America, someone's gotta pay the difference in some way. How much of your earnings goes to government in taxes to pay for it is the question that comes to mind.
    Too many people waste money for college who shouldn't even be there. (I read about a survey done of recent college graduates and a large percentage of them couldn't think critically, had terrible reading comprehension, and were unable to communicate clear ideas on paper.) Many jobs can be done just as well without that piece of paper - unless youre in certain professions where you actually learn something useful such as medicine, engineering, and the hard sciences.

How many traders learned what they needed to make money in a university, for example ?

#28     Dec 4, 2008
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

"College May Become Unaffordable for Most in U.S."

Probably just as well. Most of the younger college grads I know are dumber than a bag of hammers anyway.

Apparently if mom and dad can afford the tuition, it doesn't take much else to get a degree these days.

#29     Dec 4, 2008
  10. daybyday

daybyday

LOL

My version is "dumber than a box of rocks"

:D

The expression makes me laugh but I think what we are exposed to has a lot to do with it. Those who have been around people who DO think critically and DO know the value of a day's work for a day's pay learn what is important.

BTW I was going to say "know the value of a dollar" but that is hard for anyone to know these days!

#30     Dec 4, 2008