College May Become Unaffordable for Most in U.S.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Dec 4, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Trade school?

Audi charges $175/hr labor for service. Imagine the mechanic gets $60-$75 of that.

Plumbers and electricians get $75/hr ++.

Medical PA starts about $70K/yr right out of school.

For most, college should prepare for a well-paying, "unable to be outsourced" job. Otherwise it's likely a waste of somebody's money. (I'm sure a kid could read Moby Dick at City College just as well as at Brown.... besides, more of what a kid gets out of college is determined by what he puts into his effort rather than the name on the school.)

If not trade school, families would do better to send their kids to state college... or even community college for 2 years, then state college to finish up.

$100K-150K for college is ridiculous... that's after taxes, you know.. That could be >$250K in pre-tax earnings... PER CHILD!

#11     Dec 4, 2008
  2. In Europe here college costs maybe 30k for 5 years.

#12     Dec 4, 2008
  3. The Harvard Fund is looking to lose 10B maybe more by the end of next year.

Would any of the Fund managers have been products of Harvard I wonder.

regards
    f9

#13     Dec 4, 2008
  4. achilles28

achilles28

Free education - all the way up - payed for through State-level consumption tax.

Thats the only generic hand-out I'm for.

#14     Dec 4, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

There have been 3 approaches to the market in the last year or so which would have been comparatively successful...

1. Net short equities (commodities in there somewhere too)

2. Heavily in US Treasuries

3. Heavily in cash.

All of the people and MMs who lost big failed to get onboard with any of the 3.

So, is it the case that all of that high priced talent really isn't WORTH A CRAP?

#15     Dec 4, 2008
  6. The great strength of Universities is that they pass on what they know.

The great weakness of Universities is that they pass on what they know.

regards
    f9

#16     Dec 4, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

I doubt that many good MMs would say, "I leaned the good stuff while in college".. though I'm sure they leaned a lot about "buy and hold"...

#17     Dec 4, 2008
  8. Quite frankly 90% of what I learned in a NZ University in the 60's was either irrelevant or dead wrong.
    The other 10% I could have home schooled myself.

The fun, the sports, the girls, the parties however at the taxpayers expense were irreplaceable.

regards
    f9

#18     Dec 4, 2008
  9. College is a waste of time unless you something specific in mind such as Law, Science, Education or being a CPA etc.

What irks me is Harvard having $40 billion in endowments. Why charge so much when you have that much money?

John

#19     Dec 4, 2008
  10. Internet based education.....

Gotta happen....

Gonna happen.....

#20     Dec 4, 2008