College Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeatLiLKids, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Dang... I never considered Ebay... Do you know if the same sell has an XPS 1710 with 2.16 Ghz and 2 Gigs of Ram? Possibly a warranty?

#31     Jun 20, 2006
  2. Look at the dell LATITUDE line in the small business section. By buying from the small business section you get better support. The D820 model with a dual core processor, 2gigs of ram and 100 gig hd will run you about 3K.

Nice thing about the LATITUDE line is that it is a bit more sturdy, the components are more stable and the life cycle of things like connectors and batteries etc are longer. So if you decide in two years to trade in to a new lattitude chances are the form factor of the new lattitude will accomodate your accessories that you've already purchased for this Latitude.

This has been my experience and this recommendation is baesd on that. Hope it helps.

-eLindy

#32     Jun 20, 2006
  3. Get some thing you don't mind getting stolen and beer spilled on.

#33     Jun 20, 2006
  4. Accidental protection dude.

#34     Jun 20, 2006
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Give it up kid, you know it, and I know it, you are not going to study, you are going to become GAMING-ADDICTED!! :) jk

Seriously, I would stay with known name brands sans a compelling reason to go with an unknown. It is really the way to go to figure out what exactly you want/need and then factor the cost in last. It is good to get leading edge stuff too because by the time it is trailing edge you will be ready for a new computer and upgrading can lead you into multiple blind alleys. One little caveat. Gamers get AMD processors. Non gaming software developers test their stuff on Intels. I had some trading software with a weird bug and got online and found a few others with the same bug: we all had AMD processors. There was a slight incompatability, just enough to screw up my [technical] life.

#35     Jun 20, 2006
  6. I've been with Intel all my life, not to mention most computers I'm looking at are Intel. Should I move my search towards an AMD?

#36     Jun 20, 2006
  7. segv

segv

The Fujitsu N-Series LifeBooks are in your price range. I carry around one of these "desktop replacement" LifeBooks and it has been excellent. They have an immaculate display. Best value for the dollar, IMO.

-segv

#37     Jun 20, 2006
  8. No, my regular outlet does not have one. However, you might try here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-XPS-M1...000987940QQcategoryZ42201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-NICE-DELL...001383700QQcategoryZ42201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-RED-XPS-M1...000815067QQcategoryZ42201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Got these units from references from a few industry associates who've shopped with the sources. They are credible sellers with great references and solid eBay ratings. You seem focused on this model and spending quite a bit for it. Maybe this will help you out. :)

#38     Jun 21, 2006
  9. Thanks man... I'm not only focused on the Dell (they are a large and widely trusted company) I also am looking at Sager. If anybody has any information about their newest line (I believe it's called the 5760) any information would be greatly appreciated.

#39     Jun 21, 2006
  10. gnome

gnome

Maybe it doesn't make any difference. All of them are made by Wriston in Taiwan, anyway.

#40     Jun 21, 2006