College Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeatLiLKids, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Adobian

Adobian

LOL :)

In 30 years, I don't think 474K can buy a pund of Salt. Just kidding. :)

But in order to make 20% a year consistently, you probably have to be a full time trader.

#21     Jun 20, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

If we assume 8% average annual inflation... in 30 years it would take $20,125* to have the buying power of $2,000 today.

Full-time trading is not necessary. For someone with knowledge, 20% and more can be done with end-of-day trading in mutual funds or ETFs.

*Calculations on TI BA-II... didn't need "that" in college, either. :D

#22     Jun 20, 2006
  3. Ok, here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-INSPIRON-9...4QQihZ013QQcategoryZ80208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I gotta' tell you though, you can do what you want to do for less money. This seller has a good record and I have purchased two units from them in the recent past. No system or other problems and, a quick shipper! Here's another with a smaller drive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-E1705-9400...5QQihZ013QQcategoryZ80208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd personally go here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr11_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Or here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT

Either unit will game, work, and last you for many years to come. I personally have one like the last one to handle most of my game play (which includes Starcraft, Empire Earth, Doom, Quake, Railroad Tycoon and a few others). :)

#23     Jun 20, 2006
  4. Adobian

Adobian

To the original thread starter. I am in the same boat with you.

I want my PC to do a lot of things, and I want it to be fast, and I want it to be portable, and and more. I am into music, I play keyboard with a soft synthesizer. I use EMU soundcard with Emulatorx for sounds. I am into gaming. I also use Photoshop a lot.

Been looking into an Antec Aria and other Small Form Factor cases, such as ShuttleX etc. I'd rather have a portable SFF PC to go with maybe an LCD monitor. My next PC, I will design my own case, because my philosophy is this: The DVD-Drive ought to be external. This way, the case can be as compact as possible. It's probably will be something like this: CPU: Conroe 2.66 overclocked, Ninja cooler, motherboard should have at least 3 PCIe x16 slots, three Dual DVI graphic cards. EMU sound card. HDTV TV Tuner. Maybe a DVB card as well. The Serial ATA II, I either want the motherboard to have one connected to outside, or I will have a bracket for that. Cause in addition to the 2 hard drive i in RAID configuration, I would like a 3 drive for data transfer and back up, and it should be SATA II, I don't want just USB, it's not as fast.

I don't know about you, but whenever I am out, using a PC, I need an outlet, even in a coffee shop :) . I don't really want to look at the battery level indicator.

#24     Jun 20, 2006
  5. My dual battery Dell Latitude C640 gets about four hours without a plug. It games and also doubles as an automated music DJ for various events.

My brother used his during his college days to make pocket money on the weekends DJ'ing parties and weddings with his digital music collection. :)

#25     Jun 20, 2006
  6. Adobian

Adobian

20% a year could get you a job at a bank. :)

I wonder how long would it take to be able to make 20% a year consitently, in a business that 90 percent failed ?

#26     Jun 20, 2006
  7. Adobian

Adobian

His gaming experience could be better if it was a SFF PC with a graphic card of his own choice. :)

These days, I think Dell XPS or Alienware laptops could do serious gaming.

#27     Jun 20, 2006
  8. gnome

gnome

Bank? Who would want to be required to wear a tie evey day and take a pay cut?

#28     Jun 20, 2006
  9. Josh009

Josh009

#29     Jun 20, 2006

10. It's not just for the music... It's for multitasking and gaming... Future games to come are going to do a number on computers so I'd rather be prepared.

#30     Jun 20, 2006