College isn't just "not worth it", unfortunately, it's a negative.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by wilburbear, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Eight

Eight

and get an advanced degree.. the unemployment rate for people with master's degrees is low and for PhD's it's lower yet

#51     Aug 11, 2012
  2. lindq

lindq

LOL! You have a PhD from an Ivy school and can't spell Harvard (Haward)?

Well, with what passes for education these days, I suppose that's to be expected.

#52     Aug 11, 2012
  3. sle

sle

Excuse me, it's not Haward, but HaRward! It can also be spelled Hayward, Hardyard and Hoeward.

PS. Google Chrome apparently recognizes Harvard as a dictionary word, what a shame...

#53     Aug 11, 2012
  4. One of my friends who is in college right now came over talk economics and work on his econ project. He shows me his class textbook, and I saw that uncle Ben was co author of the overpriced $200 book.

You'd have to Pay ME to read that book.

Full disclosure, I am not washed among the pure so I have a bias.

Here is an interesting chart.

[​IMG]

#54     Aug 11, 2012
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

The other one when I was at university was Krugman. I thought at the time he was really smart. Looking back at the books now it seems so amateur. He just puts big words in and over complicates things. He also changes his mind a lot.

#55     Aug 11, 2012
  6. pac3

pac3

I disagree. I think a lot of people are just wasting their time with useless degrees. I read about the art history PHD's who are on unemployment and I wonder how a smart person could be so stupid.

#56     Aug 11, 2012
  7. the fallacy is in the fact that kids go to school thinking there getting an edjamacation thats going to make them a good practitioner in business. Academia is an ocean away from real business.. "the street" they teach you linearness in math.. smoothing.. throwing away of outliers in statistics.. and they have this curriculum in the arts that is based on what "they" think you should know and learn.. its a hierarchy of academic jack offs that know nothing about making a living in the real world... oh and by the way.. there is definitely a private school bubble.. Strayer college.. etc.. wait till we finally start slowing the spending down.. those businesses are going to get killed..

i see alot of kids go to college and they don't even know what they wanna do! getting degrees in communications etc etc.. and they all rack up debts thinking that the ends will justify the means... BULLSHIT.. get a grip

now on the contrary.. i actually believe in school and education.. as much as i think its a joke. you can get out of it whatever you put into it... if you need to learn higher level finance .. what better way then to go to classes for it! i took a class recently.. i wrote about whatever i wanted... i was very flamboyant about my views about school... the first paper i wrote was about the variance between being well schooled and being actually useful in business.

#57     Aug 12, 2012
  8. more and more people are just going back to school because they can't get jobs... Good test takers is all they are...

#58     Aug 12, 2012
  9. Delinquencies for student loan debt comparable to other forms of debt.

[​IMG]

#59     Aug 12, 2012
  10. wow love the chart... you don't think there is a school bubble? i mean i've see so many people go back to school... and there is so much gov funding being trapped by entreprenuer schools.. what do you think... by the way.. i have a chevelle.. i would love to see your Zr1

#60     Aug 12, 2012