College Is Not An Option

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vanzandt, Feb 4, 2018.

1. jem

jem

I tell my kids take a chance on what they love but have a backup. I realize that having the back up is probably self defeating... but I also think many of the people who have a platform to say love what you do ... are part of a survivorship biased group.

Think of all the actors who have not made it.
    A guy I worked with has a friend who went to holllywood to be a director. He is in his 40s and been out schmoozing almost every night and is very tired of it. He never got his big break.

Think of all the athletes and traders who never made it or lost it all.

Do what you love but don't fail. Or, do what you love and find a way to make money.
    Its pretty hard to own a house in a nice area with good schools without money. Unfortunately.

I am not saying you are not correct, there is right or wrong but all eggs in the passion basket has risks too. Just as not having them in the passion basket can leave you a bit bored with your job.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    #51     May 24, 2018
    drcha likes this.
  2. Buckey

Buckey

Nowadays, companies are hiring candidates who earned college-level degree/diploma. That's the only backup every kid needs.
    If your kid is mature enough to separate himself from the idle life, then he/she should do what his passion is calling. That's all. No need making them have a tough life except idle or wild kids who don't care about the future. Such kids will thanks to you one day for sending them to college, good college.

It's not advisable to force them to study in specific field that you want them to be. It's purely waste of time, both you and your kids. Take counselling and find their matching skills with field and have a better life.
    Peace!

#52     Jun 28, 2018
    SmackSon and CSEtrader like this.
  3. Sig

Sig

From a former professional pilot and maintenance officer I can't really recommend either of these. Car mechanics can charge/make far more than aircraft mechanics and the quality of their work is seldom a life and death matter like an aircraft mechanic's often is. As for becoming a pilot, you don't take classes at your local community college, for one! And it's a crap job for the first 10-15 years minimum when you effectively make far less than a barista at Starbucks. If you passionately want to be a pilot (and I did) it can be rewarding for that alone, plus I went the military route which is preferable. But to do it as some kind of vocation like being a welder is crazy.

#53     Jun 28, 2018
    SmackSon and traderob like this.
  4. chart pig

chart pig

This is along the right path. The boomers. Transportation is difficult for the elderly or say a shut-in. Sure Uber can get you from point A to B but there is no assistance to the Boomer, say if they need assistance food shopping.

There is a tremendous hole in this area. It can be piecemealed together but one company makes a huge difference and Boomers will pay for that. There are some very successful people who have entered this space early so the model works. Study their business and then find the right location. The demand for these services is huge and competant supply is lacking.

Develop a model that works and then create a franchise.

#54     Aug 25, 2018
    vanzandt and fan27 like this.
  5. SmackSon

SmackSon

It's all on your judgement and see if kid is thick or thin in terms of their skills and passions. But the father's role is to build the kid up (it's not an option) till let alone do the rest. When kid started to learn the bicycle, it require your job and when he's good at it, he's all on his own.

And regarding business, I believe nothing is impossible to work out in risks and legal stuffs. Needs, visions, resources and objectives are must for each and every type of business.

#55     Aug 28, 2018
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

PUBLIC FIGURE on Instagram.

#56     Aug 31, 2018
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

The biggest point I drive home to my son is to LOVE your fellow human. The streets brought me up thinking differently as part of survival. It took me many years to learn my biggest lesson in life. The HEART papa is our biggest asset. Everything else is just noise.

#57     Aug 31, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  8. Banjo

Banjo

#58     Aug 31, 2018
  9. usrx201

usrx201

It's true community colleges don't usually have pilot classes, but they do have the air mechanic programs at community college cost basis. There is also a decent job market for air mechs where there's usually demand throughout the country from what I've heard. And otherwise, some aviation colleges do have pilot training courses along with business degree curriculums.

Right, I'd heard from other pilots that some regret their vocation path in the long life scheme of things and of course it can come down to individual outlook. However, I was giving valid ideas for this father's question about his son not being fit for college level fields but too bright otherwise. The path to being a commercial pilot for an airline has a limited age window that a young person in their early 20's should be aware of if they ever wanted to consider this path. I had looked into it sometime as a possible career change, but in the end it was too late for me. Yes, of course both are highly responsible job fields which I wouldn't assume otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    #59     Sep 18, 2018
  10. dealmaker

dealmaker

I would not invest $200k or even a $100k for a person with no business, structure, hard work or organizational experience. If you do, don't be surprised despite the child's best intention your investment goes down the toilet. Rather I'd push them towards one of the three entreprenuerial jobs that are commission based that if executed properly can earn a person professional level wages. I am talking about real estate, insurance or auto sales. I prefer the first two to the third because they require passing tests which shows commitment, you have to acquire your own clientele forcing them to hustle, schedule is more flexible and the top end is much higher. After two to four years of showing promise and dedication at one of the said jobs then I'd invest $200k at a business for them and that business would be whatever they are passionate about.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    #60     Sep 22, 2018
    vanzandt, ElCubano and Sprout like this.