College Grad Can't Find Job; Sues School For Tuition

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MattF, Aug 2, 2009.

1. aegis

aegis

Those are exactly the types of jobs that I'm referring to. Companies like JCI, Honeywell, and Trane pay HVAC and controls technicians around $12-15/hr to start. That's with a minimum of 3 years experience. A good tech tops out at around $25. Granted, they do get some overtime and a company truck.

The exception to this are techs who have engineering degrees as they can essentially do it all.

#41     Aug 3, 2009
  2. A lot of respondents here seem to be missing the point. Of course it's absurd PC-victimization BS to suggest that a student can sue a school simply because she failed to obtain employment after graduating (although there are some ultra-left wing fanatics on here who would argue just that... you all know who I'm talking about but I'm not allowed to speak his name; Joe the Mod said he would 'take me out' if I did).

However, this may be a legal question involving a school that exists solely to make money and whose owners couldn't give a rat's ass whether their graduates find work. If they promised a certain level of help in post-graduation job placement and didn't deliver, it's a straight breach of contract case. Having said that, they're almost certainly covered in the fine print.

#42     Aug 3, 2009
  3. There’s something not right about you. I have never heard of a baby boomer on ET talk like you. What’s your deal?

#43     Aug 3, 2009
  4. skylr33

skylr33

She should give Obama a call. He'll cut her a check. Better yet, maybe he'll offer her a job as "the dumb fuck czar". Of wait, sorry, he's already filled those positions.

#44     Aug 3, 2009
  5. piezoe

piezoe

:D

On the surface this looks like another hot coffee in the lap suit. (THat one was won by the plaintiff.)

If this moron can show in court that she is in fact a moron, and the school either knew it all along but took her money anyway, or was negligent in not recognizing that she was a moron and therefore had no reasonable prospect of landing a job, but just kept stringing her along, passing her in classes that she should have failed, just to tap into various government grant and loan programs, then she just might have a case. I think under these circumstances, were I on the jury, I might be inclined to find for the moron, opps, i mean plaintiff. :D :D :D

#45     Aug 4, 2009
  6. piezoe

piezoe

An education and job training are not necessarily the same thing. Both can be valuable, but it is possible to acquire one without the other.

In the case of the girl, from Monroe, odds are she wasn't very bright in the first place because that is the kind of "student" these for profit colleges and "universities" cater to. They are mainly into exploiting various government grant and loan programs for profit, and they need these minimally qualified "students" as pawns. It is virtually impossible to flunk out of these schools as long as you can come up with the money.

There is no comparison between these for profit schools and a legitimate college or university. There are undoubtedly some fine, for profit technical institutes, but i doubt if any of these places that call themselves "colleges" or "universities" are really that.

#46     Aug 4, 2009
  7. You obviously have no idea what a relay technician is and the level of technical skill I am talking about. HVAC techs? Come on now, that's the white collar equivalent of a 2 year business administration degree.

Let me give you another example. Welding. Not a $12-$15/hour position.

#47     Aug 4, 2009
  8. MattF

MattF

Maybe you just need to get your lawsuit heard by the media :)

--------------------------
    It was announced today by The Ski Channel Founder and CEO, Steve Bellamy that The Ski Channel would offer an entry level job to Trina Thompson, the 27 year old Information Technology Graduate who is suing New Yorks Monroe College for her inability to find work.

Ms. Thompson is suing Monroe College in New York State Supreme Court for approximately $70,000 to reimburse her for the tuition costs she spend attaining her degree from the institution. Ms. Thompson is accusing Monroe College of being responsible for her inability to find work.

"Either Ms Thompson is a cunning out of the box thinker and we want her," said Bellamy "or she isn't, and her postiion would not last long. Either way, the law suit would no longer be clogging up the courts because there are now no damages. She now has a bonifide job offer. She just needs to call us and go over the details. But it is real and valid. If she is this fiesty, we'll try her out. But if she is playing the victim card and pushing her problems onto everyone else - then her job wouldn't likely last long.

Ms. Thompson can find us through the website at http://www.theskichannel.com/

#48     Aug 4, 2009