College Grad Can't Find Job; Sues School For Tuition

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MattF, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MattF

MattF

No way would these multi-million and billion dollar institutions go for that.

Unless enrollment suddenly starts plunging and they get desperate.

But to theorize, a "guarantee" like that would need to say something along the lines of proving you've tried to get employment in your degree field, after, say 1-2 years minimum.

Not 4 months as in this case.

She fell for the grand old dream of having a job right out of college.

#31     Aug 3, 2009
  2. aegis

aegis

True.

Also, she has an IT degree, but I'll bet anything that she has no IT certs (CompTIA, MCSE, CCNA, etc.). Without the certs, nobody is going to hire you.

#32     Aug 3, 2009
  3. hayman

hayman

Although I'm also sure that this lawsuit will get dismissed, be aware that there are 4 major bubbles going on now in our economy:

1) Housing Bubble
    2) Credit Card Bubble
    3) Medical Insurance Bubble
    4) College Tuition Bubble

In regard to # 4, with the ever-increasing tuition levels that have been occurring, this bubble is ripe to pop. State school applications are at an all-time high, and the demise of many of these private schools, is right around the corner. The biggest fallacy there is in the world of College, is that the more you spend (aka private college), the better off you will be financially, when you graduate. Nothing could be further from the truth. As a person who was directly responsible for hiring in a Fortune 500 company for the better part of 20 years, I can honestly say that there is no difference in salaries from those who graduate from public State Universities vs. those who graduate from Private Universities. The one exception to this rule, is for those who graduate from Ivy League Colleges....that does open the door to jobs and salaries that are not afforded to the "common" folk. Given this, it's just a matter of time before these Private Universities starting imploding, one by one.

#33     Aug 3, 2009
  4. RedDuke

RedDuke

Totally true. It only makes sense to pay big $ in Ivy League for the reason state above.

#34     Aug 3, 2009
  5. Let me see if I get this straight. She has been looking for a job for all of 3 months in the midst of the worst unemployment in decades and is pissed because they weren't able to find her a job?

This may be a tad harsh but, I will personally refund all her tuition money if she agress to get steralized. It's frightening that people this inept may be breeding.

#35     Aug 3, 2009
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

this is ridiculous. the university does not owe her a job.

#36     Aug 3, 2009
  7. WTF decade are you in? Awhile ago I checked out one of these for profit technical schools and it was 16k for a 9 month program. And yes, job placement assistance is one of the big things they pitch to you.

#37     Aug 3, 2009
  8. #5 Commercial Property bubble

#38     Aug 3, 2009
  9. He is not talking about painting walls, but real technical skills. Quite a few of these blue collar jobs require vocational schooling, training & certifications. Some positions are quite extensive in knowledge required, like relay technicians, which are six figure jobs with strong job security.

#39     Aug 3, 2009
  10. TGregg

TGregg

There's no way. There are countless scams that would be pulled - and on PhDs not undergrad paper. People would be lining up to take the university for a quarter mill a pop.

But we've certainly entered the age of irresponsibility. Buy a house and don't bother to read the giant print about adjustable rate mortgages or too damn stooopid to know if you can afford x dollars a month - it's not your fault but the fault of the lender. Buy a bunch of crap you don't have money for on a credit card then the company raises your rates as they can under the agreement you signed (but didn't read) and it's not your fault but the Evil Credit Card Company. Get a degree and no corner office 3 months later? Time to sue the university.

I guess some people really do need the government to tell them everything from where to live, what kind of car to buy, what job to take, who to marry, what to have for lunch etc. Just make them pay for it and leave us adults alone.

#40     Aug 3, 2009