College Grad Can't Find Job; Sues School For Tuition

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MattF, Aug 2, 2009.

1. ........................................................................

Most educational needs ....

THE INTERNET

MBA's etc. basically free....timing by the student only....

This is the future....

#21     Aug 3, 2009
  2. A typical University education costs about $100,000 and about five years of lost income for a total investment of around $200,000. The vast majority of people seek an education with the hope that it will get them a good career but I would say that more than half of them end up working in something else totally unrelated to their education. They essentially wasted $200,000 worth of their time and money.

I would equate this to someone buying a $200,000 house but more than half the time you find that the house is of no use and you have to walk away from it with no chance of getting your money back. If that was happening to home buyers there would be an uprising in the country. Yet noone speaks up about the waste happening with our education system. Some of the fault lies with the students and parents making poor choices. However I would say that most of the fault lies with the schools themselves. Their main concern is to attract as many paying students as possible. They don't care what happens after the student has paid their tuition.

If an electrician or a plumber did a job for you but it didn't work, you have a right to ask for a refund. What makes the law so different for a College? Why doesn't this student have a right to ask for a refund of her tuition?

#22     Aug 3, 2009
  3. People with college educations earn far more than people with H.S. diplomas. Here, it is $52K per year compared to $30K per year.

http://www.earnmydegree.com/online-education/learning-center/education-value.html

People with High School diplomas are in for a long, low paid, desperate existence. And the kind of jobs that they concentrate in like manufacturing, is rapidly being automated or offshored.

People who came out of places like the auto companies are scrambling to get anything. People with decent degrees at least can do some retraining and have the BS on their resume.

#23     Aug 3, 2009
  4. TGregg

TGregg

70k just on tuition? WTF? Did she get three PhDs?

#24     Aug 3, 2009
  5. #25     Aug 3, 2009
  6. i know someone who spent 60k on 2 children's education before 2nd grade. 70k is definitely the low end....

any decent private education is expensive.

surf

#26     Aug 3, 2009
  7. aegis

aegis

$70k is nothin'.

At Florida State, which typically has some of the lowest university tuition rates in the country, a PHD will cost you $80k. That doesn't even include undergrad tuition.

#27     Aug 3, 2009
  8. Those who have technical skills and can repair things, whether ECUs on cars, or Heating & Cooling Systems in homes or businesses, ae going to be relatively better off than paper diploma holders, with a few exceptions, in the very, very rough economic times that lay ahead.

Americans have forgotten to do anything for themselves, so a few that are capable will learn these things, while most will be reliant on those who know how to do them.

MBAs will be about as valuable as degrees in fine art.

#28     Aug 3, 2009
  9. Wasn't there a book something about, "I leaned everything I needed to know by the age of 6"... like (1) say "please" and "thank you", and (2) to flush.

#29     Aug 3, 2009
  10. aegis

aegis

There will be a steady supply of immigrants, both legal and illegal, to repair things. Unless you're a union worker, those jobs don't pay relatively well either. You'll top out at around $20/hour. Better than nothing I suppose.

#30     Aug 3, 2009