College Grad Can't Find Job; Sues School For Tuition

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MattF, Aug 2, 2009.

1. She shouldn't get a dime...

But globalization is killing new grads. Colleges are increasingly becoming a gamble. More young people will now be competing for work with people halfway around the globe. I didn't face that, so I cant be too angry at her.

Gerald Celente called this the College Industrial Complex... and it will collapse. I would agree. Colleges will have to adjust their costs accordingly.

The sanctimonious over 50 crowd, that had it the easiest and entered the workforce at the early stages of the giant credit cycle are the other extreme. They should STFU and spare these kids the lecture. The 50+ generation sold this country cheap, and they will be blaming the same kids they are saddling with a GIANT national debt.

Watch who you criticize, or they may take your medicare away, geezers. You think these kids will live in cardboard boxes because of the world you created for them? Ha.... I don't care how much money you have, these kids will tax the hell out of it and you all will be eating dogfood when you're 75 yrs old.

#11     Aug 3, 2009
  2. She may have a case. Many moons ago I worked as an Admissions Rep for a, For profit, post secondary technical school. We offered job placement assistance and used it as a selling tool during the recruitment process. We has to spell out, in no uncertain terms, that while we had an outstanding placement percentage, and graduates were eligible for life time placement, we could not guarantee job placement. We had that in writing and the perspective student had to sign off on that prior to being accepted for admission.
    In reviewing Monroes website I could not find any type of disclaimer about placement guarantees. They do promote the service aggressively on their website. She may have been presented something that she signed while enrolling, but if the Monroe Admissions Dept. didn't do that, ( which I would find surprising), she probably has a case.
    http://www.monroecollege.edu/careerservices/

#12     Aug 3, 2009
  3. She is guaranteed a job in the same way that people who trade are guaranteed a profit.

You get an education. That is what universities are for. But a job comes from the EMPLOYERS.

Pick a bad school, or get low grades, or have mediocre interpersonal skills, or pick a bad major, and you are already behing an eightball for each of these that is true.

As an example, ya gotta love art history majors who pursued their passions, and did not realize the corporate world has little use for these...

#13     Aug 3, 2009
  4. I know the feeling I couldn't find a job for a long time kudos to suing chick

#14     Aug 3, 2009
  5. lpchad

lpchad

+1

#15     Aug 3, 2009
  6. That would be awesome!

#16     Aug 3, 2009
  7. TGregg

TGregg

The PhysEd classes should also make students sign a waiver that acknowledges they may still get fat and/or out of shape and/or die young despite taking the class. And all the hard science classes will also need waivers on things from no guarantee of the student never making a mistake to new discoveries that make the class obsolete.

Dorms also need a waiver saying that living there doesn't guarantee getting laid, being invited to a kegger or making any friends.

HTF can any school guarantee a student will get a job?

#17     Aug 3, 2009
  8. The case will be tossed as it should, but diploma mills thrive and prey in economic downturns.

The chef school ones are like a cancer right now, with all the advertising.

You have restaurants that are closing left and right, and Culinary Institute of the World or whatever TF it is has commercials telling kids they can make $90,000 or more as an executive chef given the demand.

They probably charge 50k for some lame ass program.

#18     Aug 3, 2009
  9. WinSum

WinSum

This is a great trend. More college grads should be doing it. Colleges been offering false hope to high school kids and parents that higher educaction was necessary and college tuition been raising faster than inflation.

It is time to show that college doesn't offer a higher income net of time spent in college with tuition cost for all students.

#19     Aug 3, 2009
  10. aegis

aegis

This is why community colleges need to start offering 4-year degrees. The first two years of college should be relatively inexpensive. I can't think of one good reason to attend a 4-year university for the first 60 credits. Complete waste of money.

Also, Monroe College, although it's fully accredited, is a for-profit college.

#20     Aug 3, 2009