college degree quesiton

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by l4t13, Mar 4, 2007.

1. l4t13

l4t13

Hello,

I am 18 right now managing a $2500 account. I started out with $1800, 3 months ago.

anyway, I will be enrolling in college this coming august to get my 4 year degree.

i would like to either
    a) have enough saved in 4 years (while in college) to trade on my own

or

b) join a prop firm

If I dont have enough saved on my own and have to join a prop firm, how important is a degree in finance? I want to get a degree in education.

By the way, I'm not going to a target school or anything. I am going to Western Kentucky Univ. where I have a near full ride. No reason to have all the debt and my family certainly couldn't pay for it with my mom being a teacher and dad is disabled after losing his sternum in open heart surgery.

Thanks for the help.

good trading luck!

2. cstfx

cstfx

To join a prop or be very successful on your own, you don't need finance degrees. You need to be able to think. Traders need to be able to think, and fast.

Finance degrees are for the guys/girls going into M&A and investment banking.

3. Get the Education degree and teach. Do something worthwhile with your life. Then, you would at least have something positive to look back on in your life at old age...

4. Get a degree so you can spell QUESTION.

5. jtnet

jtnet

a finance degree would be good if you want to waste 4 yrs

6. l4t13

l4t13

That was a typo.

Thanks for the help everyone.

7. tyler19

tyler19

why waste the money on a degree?

8. Get the degree first, no guarantee you will succeed in trading.

9. nitro

nitro

You guys are hilarious playing down an education.

Go to school. Treat every class like an adventure and don't limit yourself to classes that are "useful". Throw in a "weird" class that you don't think you will like in your schedule when you can. Work your ass off to discover what you love to do. Whether you get a degree or not is irrelevant. It is the perspective about yourself that you come away with that matters. But the degree will open many doors for you, so go for that bonus.

If after four years you still have a burning desire to trade, then trade, or even better, get an internship at a firm in Chicago or NY during summer vacation, and find out if this career shakes your world. We do it at our firm all the time.

Best of luck.

nitro

10. l4t13

l4t13

Yeah, I am FOR SURE going to college.

I dont think a degree is a waste of money and I wont even be paying for mine. I have a full ride.

I know I will still have a love for trading just because of the nature. I love the challenge and daily movement tracking.

Thanks for all the help. I am still leaning towards the education degree so I could impact young people in teaching.

=)

by the way nitro, what firm are you at? Thanks for your helpful post.

#10     Mar 5, 2007