Collection Of Intraday Patterns For The ES Market

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Laissez Faire, Feb 1, 2011.

1. A PPF

• ppf.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    #21     Feb 5, 2011
  2. Also a triangle break.

#22     Feb 5, 2011
  3. Nice contributions so far. Keep `em coming, guys and gals :)

As I wrote in the topic, I`m interested in idiosyncrasies and tendencies for the ES market in particular.

Most books on chart patterns start with the pattern and then they seek out whichever market confirms their hypotheses.

I am interested in working this out from the opposite direction.

Identify patterns that repeat themselves in the ES market, learn to recognize them and trade them.

As Handle123 says, "Some will say price action is price action, but each instrument does have it's own personality. What works well in ES, might not work well in a running market like Crude Oil." :)

#23     Feb 7, 2011
  4. Failed Triple Bottom

This pattern illustrates the importance of waiting for confirmation, especially during a slow period of the day.

When price first penetrated support @ 1317, buyers entered and managed to close price @ support, not above. Still it`s too early to enter a long, as it was price`s first shot at that level.

Following on the next bar, we had a weak close above 1317, but we still had not bounced off the level. Hold your longs for now.

On the next bar, we once again dipped and closed below 1317.

On the next bar, price fully penetrated 1317 and closed succesfully below.

This was the confirmation needed to enter a short with a stop above the tail of the previous bar.

#24     Feb 7, 2011
  5. joe4422

joe4422

Not to be rude, but has it already not been established that you are broke and living on your girlfriend's couch; desperately spewing shit on ET in hopes some one will give you money to teach them?

#25     Feb 7, 2011
  6. nkhoi

nkhoi

sellers pattern
    [​IMG]

#26     Feb 7, 2011
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

At first I thought you were saying you're looking for price patterns that works well in ES markets while not working well in other markets. However, I now realize you're talking about the micro price action of a pattern (can be called tendencies and idiosyncrasies) that makes it work in Emini ES futures while a different type of micro price action of the same pattern is required to work in Light Crude Oil CL futures or any other type of futures.

For example, during low volatility trading conditions...the breakout of the shoulder in the H&S pattern is a better trade entry in comparison to the breakout of the neckline in the H&S pattern while trading the Emini ES futures. Thus, the same H&S pattern with different entry areas (mirco price action).

(the above is not true but an example only of trying to explain micro price action "tendencies" that the OP is looking for in which he can't find discussed in any books or most forum price pattern discussions. However, read below to understand why there are tendencies).

Here's another example...there are 15 different variations of the Japanese Candlestick Bullish White Hammer pattern. One particular variation works better in the Emini futures (e.g. Emini ES) while a different variation of the same pattern works better in Treasury Futures (e.g. ZB futures). These examples have reliabilities that change when market context changes but overall remain different due to the difference in a particular trading instrument in comparison to another trading instrument. Simply, if you don't understand the market context of your trading instrument prior to the appearance of the price pattern...

It's blind trading.

Simply, the reason why there are tendencies or idiosyncrasies is because there are different market contexts associated with different types of markets even though markets are connected...impacting the price action of each other.

Mark

#27     Feb 8, 2011
  8. Forget patterns and indicators, you will lose with them, I repeat, you will lose.

Price gravitates toward demand!

That's the closest you'll get to a free lunch in trading.

#28     Feb 9, 2011
  9. Very nice patterns in play today.

R10 move and a double bottom at higher time frame support.

The double bottom also filled the gap from the open. Nice!

Free money :)

Round numbers seem to be very significant in the ES market.

#29     Feb 28, 2011
  10. Sure glad it was free.

#30     Feb 28, 2011