Collection Of Intraday Patterns For The ES Market

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Laissez Faire, Feb 1, 2011.

1. really really really great piece of advice for the ES. Been at this for 3 yrs now, and there really is a roadmap you need to follow to trade certain days well.

#11     Feb 5, 2011
  2. An excellent idea but it may take you forever. There are some programs that do this automatically:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2968698#post2968698

I tried to start a library of futures patterns 15 years ago. One problem is that the success rate is constantly changing and you are faced with a horrendous task of updating it. Automation is the answer.

#12     Feb 5, 2011
  3. Control Bars: works in any market or symbol, as all price action studies do. Price is price, everywhere

swing high and swing low bars create zones of pullback resistance and support at the body of the extreme swing bar, opposite of extreme swing point

examples from 1/25/11 ES session attached

#13     Feb 5, 2011

4. Nice chart.

I added 20 pattern items for trading that day.

All parallelograms have three profitable trades (point to point trading). Here you see the day begin with a short on a carryover. Then there is a long parallelogram folowwed by a short parallelogram follwed by a long parallelogream for a total of 11 trades plus a few "correction trades".

there is one market pattern (the parallelogram) and it ends with trend failures when the price cannot reach the LTL of the trend.

QED.

[​IMG]

#14     Feb 5, 2011
  5. No, he's not Wrb's correct.

------------------------------------

OT: Honestly JH, how do you trade with all that gobbly gook on your mind?

----------------------------------

Instead of playing around with patterns, why not stick to 1 and explain your risk, reward on it. Where's your entry? Where's your stop? Where's your exit? How do I trail? THEN move onto the next one.

You guys need to be more specific than posting something that looks "neat" and just leaves it at that.

#15     Feb 5, 2011
  6. When looking at the collection of patterns or charts that are posted you might find this tool very handy
    Crosshairs that are free.
    Ezzy shared this some time ago, works well.

http://www.mlin.net/CrossHair.shtml

#16     Feb 5, 2011
  7. Some of the best info I've ever read on ET. Thank you!

#17     Feb 5, 2011
  8. Nice comment.

I do what you suggest. First and foremost I stick with one pattern and it has served me well since 1957. the parallelogram always works for defining the markets offer. I like the combination of three moves in a pattern that have four coresponding volume movesl leading price.

I like that parallelograms overlap and just how they overlap.

this makes me a proponent of following a fixed order of events and as a consequence always "knowing that I know".

My risk is small and I take what the market offers.

For me, I am always in the market and always on the correct side. I use the parallelogram to make this possible.

I do not use stops for two reasons: first, I know that I know and second, when a person trades at a multiple of the market capacity it is not possible to use stops as a trading strategy. The strategy that replaces stops is a partial fills strategy.

In trading, the entry/exit approach does not apply to expert trading whereby the market's offer is being taken. The more compelling strateg is one where hold/ reversal is used. Profit in either case is made in profit segments. the limiting case for taking profit segments is linked reversal trades. Some people do not cotton to the fact that the market is always trending; I happen to and I find that there is always a correct side to be on to make money.

For me a reversal is a two part thing. It is an exit as well as an entry in the opposite direction. For me, volume leads price and a trade price. I trade as if there is a zig zag chart being displayed for me.

To assure that volume is understood as an event based type of observation, I use Pro Rata Volume as a shadow on each volume bar. this menas that immdeiately upon open of each bar I know the volume that the bar will ened with. Id either a peak or trough is indicated, the price will make a turn sometime in that bar formation. Thus I carve the turn.

To specifically do the carving I watch other leading indicators of the turn (10 to 12 to b exact).

Each would be goobly gook to you. That is your persuation

To lend specificity to my comments, some of them are as follows all in order of their leading of price appearance:

1. Stretch /squeeze. I invented this to frontrun the "smart money". The formula includes the Premium as announced daily before open. It run 20 t0 30 seconds ahead of the market and compares cash with index and is normalized to be stochastic by the Premium.

2. The DOM "walls". Walls are limit orders placed in excess of market capacity based on contemporary time rate of change. The market moves to and bounces off these excessive sizes. three games are played around and about these values. I track the games as a simple exercise.

3. The OTR parallelogram.

4. and 5. Two pair analysis of two OTS's where one lead the traded insturment.

6. Three nested fractals of events on the traded instument. I trade the middle fractal so pattern completion on the faster fractal is a three movementleading indicator which I "count down".

7. PRV.

8 through 12. First and second derivatives (statistically calculated) of parts of the displays above or color "thermometers" which indicate tendencies and their extents.

How I trade with all my knowlege and skills acquired over 53 years. is sort of like you drive a race car or ski Olympic ski courses or compete in America's Cup races. It is probably something you cannot imagine.

I log 10 to 12 8 1/2 by 11 sheets in a trading session over RTH's. Most of my life since emial was invented I shared my logs electronically.

the SEC has cited me for insider trading of multiple account POA trading over a several year period when they first learned to do eletronic monitoring of large accounts. Fortunately, they wre able to conclude they fucked up with each citation. It was a learning period for the SEC about just how much of the market's offer could be taken and how timing markets to frontrun them is a practice of some experienced and skilled traders.

My past post you referenced was a beginner level contribution to this thread. This one is a more davanced post to help better orient you to the reality of expert trading.

Good luck to you in learning more about skilled trading.

#18     Feb 5, 2011
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

I have 5 THREADS on each of the patterns mentioned earlier, go ahead and READ them. That will educate you.

Otherwise the question wasn't really about how to trade the patterns, since it should be rather obvious....Someone shows you how the stock/market will proceed and you can't figure out how to trade it???

#19     Feb 5, 2011
  10. lol. No, i'm not gonna. Size doesn't look at a chart and say.......oh boy! A dragon. Or time to go long, it's a "duck". Those patterns form for other reasons. In fact, I have no clue what the fuck you're really doing other than posting pictures.

I don't care how to trade it. I know how to trade, and you're not going to find 1 picture on my chart(S). I've got 5-7 time frames up to go over. I don't have time to play with my coloring book. All I worry about is how the market reacts to certain levels and the overall trend.

#20     Feb 5, 2011