collecting premium for a risk free 2 digit return

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by parisd, Jun 26, 2006.

1. That return is peanuts.
    Look for something that gives you at least 10% a day.

#21     Jul 1, 2006
  2. parisd

parisd

Did you post 4692 posts like this one ?

#22     Jul 1, 2006
  3. No.
    If you want to know, read my 4692 posts and come back after you found out.
    Never misery stuff like your 10% a year!
    :p

#23     Jul 1, 2006
  4. bsmeter

bsmeter

:eek: :confused:

#24     Jul 1, 2006
  5. naked position in the futs? great arb, lotsa great advice in this thread :eek:

#25     Jul 1, 2006
    #26     Jul 1, 2006
  7. bvam1

bvam1

"I noticed that too (calls are more expensive than puts) and tried on a saxobank simulated account (where we can adjust the strike price of the option with lot of precision) to create a slightly out of the money synthetic long spot gold using a call and a put that have exactly same cost so no net debit, but I dont know how if it will behave exactily as long spot. (Even if a synthetic was built with exactly ATM options when price move the options are not anymore at the money but it remain a synthetic long, hummm... does it make sense in my friday night English)"

Uh, you lost me.

And 10% a day, wow, you would be the richest man in the world in no time.

#27     Jul 2, 2006
  8. Paris' line of thinking <b>can</b> easily lead to a risk-free rate of return which is in fact, higher than money-market or short term paper.

Without putting any effort into it, I just found a contango spread which accomplishes this:

BUY Aug '06 Gold at 616.0 with intention to take delivery.

SELL Oct '06 Gold at 622.6 with intention to deliver.

You net 1.0714% in two months, which is about 6.5% annualized.

Not much over the 'normal' risk-free rate, but keep in mind two things:

A)Your taxes on this 6.5% yield are lower than they'd be on the 4.75% money market yield.

B) That's only the contango spread available <B>today</b>. Keep watching spot vs. forward gold, and you'll find many momentary opportunities for a risk-free rate north of 8% annualized... probably even north of 10%, at the right moment, on volatile days.

#28     Jul 2, 2006
  9. parisd

parisd

How can the following be done:
    BUY Aug '06 Gold at 616.0 with intention to take delivery.
    SELL Oct '06 Gold at 622.6 with intention to deliver

What happen between end of Aug and end of Oct '06

For the return I got it (622.6/616.0) and also found commodities that offer much more than 1.0714% in 2 months

#29     Jul 3, 2006
  10. parisd

parisd

bvam1

Was just trying to say that the net debit can be zero if you built the synthetic long using option slightly OTM (or slightly ITM, not sure right now).

Can it still be consider as a synthetic long, was the question?

#30     Jul 3, 2006