Collect intraday data from IB

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Trader_Herry, Sep 8, 2006.

1. chisel

chisel

Martin,
    I downloaded your spreadsheet, but when I open it, I am getting a "run-time error 40036. Application-defined or object defined errror." Specifically when I first open the sheet: Sheet1.btnToggleConnect_Click

I have TWS open and DDE and ActiveX are enabled. I don't know much if anything about Visual Basic...is there something simple that I'm missing? I'm looking at the products ZF, ZN and ZB so I can create a weighted chart of the FYT, NOB, and B-Fly.

#21     Sep 15, 2006
  2. chisel

chisel

Yes, 1 minute bars are better and that's what I want. I just used 5 min. as an example.

#22     Sep 15, 2006
  3. chisel

chisel

Thanks for the link!

I installed their s/w and downloaded their sample worksheet, but I haven't been able to get it to update from IB TWS. I configured it to use IB as a feed, but still no luck. I'll have to send an email to their support.

If you're using it, do you have any ideas?

#23     Sep 15, 2006
  4. The chart looks good.

I wonder if it's possible to draw candlestick chart in Excel, with custom time candlestick (eg 15 secs)

I look forward to your new manual. :)

#24     Sep 15, 2006
  5. chisel

chisel

Nevermind. I'm making a bit of headway with the QuoteLink spreadsheet. I have live quotes.

#25     Sep 15, 2006
  6. mss

mss

Chisel

There is an excel worksheet called new-ohlc.xls that does pretty much what you were asking about. You get to it by clicking on the QLOG link at http://www.quotelink.net/qlcgi/wiki.pl/Examples.

The worksheet looks quite odd because the author has placed formulae in various places around the spreadsheet to leave room for comment boxes describing how things should work. If you read those boxes and then examine the formulas in the cells, most of which come from the Quotein add in, you can get a sense of how it is supposed to work and then revise the format of the worksheet to make it more suited to your own needs. I have incorporated the methods from this worksheet into the TWSDDE.XLS worksheet from IB to kluge together a trading system. My experience has been that the Quotein stuff works better than the IB stuff but neither runs too smoothly.

MS

#26     Sep 15, 2006
  7. chisel

chisel

Thanks.

I'm working with the new-ohlc.xls now after spending a while figuring out the proper eCBOT symbol syntax.

Currently, I'm using QChart's Qlink to feed data into Excel (to chart weighted futures spreads) because I want historical data when I open up my spreadsheet. The Excel chart from the QLink feed crashs a couple of times a day, so I'm used to my Excel charts not running smoothly.

I don't think I'll be able to have historical data (I only need 1 day's worth of 1 minute data) unless I keep Excel open all the time to collect it, but one can view a chart thru IB's TWS so maybe there's a way to grab that chart data and put it into Excel the way I want - that is, open Excel, see the table full of up to date historical data, and then have the table update every minute.

If I can get this working somehow, then maybe I can boot Qcharts and go with Ensign or similar and save the monthly exchange fees. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just basic charts.

It's late...hope that was clear. Thanks again for the link.

#27     Sep 15, 2006
  8. chisel

chisel

I got the QLog up and running and had it set to scroll and add a row every 60 seconds. It added a row like it was supposed to every 60 seconds, but it also added another row at random intervals....not every minute, but I observed it insert at least 3 extra rows during a 20 minute period. :(

#28     Sep 15, 2006
  9. feb2006

feb2006

The run-time error often occurs when VBA want's to write into a spreadsheet cell, which you happened to select manually. So try to set the cursor into an empty cell and connect again. Hope that helps.

In the meantime a wrote another version charting minute bars too, you find it in this thread.

Regards, Martin

#29     Sep 15, 2006
  10. feb2006

feb2006

Hi Herry, it is possible

But to get rid of these data crippling candlesticks that's just the reason I'm programming a real time solution.

Nevertheless, I wrote a new version with English manual for you.

To see the new spreadsheet in action have a look at the attached video.

Regards, Martin

PS
    Download the file 'Ticker_2,03inAction.avi.zip' and open it in MediaPlayer - unzipping isn't necessary, simply delete the '.zip' ending if you like.

#30     Sep 15, 2006