Collect intraday data from IB

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Trader_Herry, Sep 8, 2006.

1. #11     Sep 11, 2006
  2. Usually I am reluctant to buy software which does not provide fully-functional free trial versions. If they are so confident at their products, why don't they let us test it first (sure there may be a few exceptions to these, like software which users just use it once or so)?

Badly speaking, one reason why author provide the limited version is simply they don't wish their prospective customers to fully test their software. They realise their software is not superb or bug-free. This would hide the imperfect or buggy parts, while the nice parts could shine too.

I have heard some bad stories about that when people buy a less-than-desired product based on its limited version.

Even worse, some authors just provide the demos. It's no-no to these companies.

I think there must be some products which provide fully-functional trial versions. I'm going to look for them.

#12     Sep 14, 2006
  3. chisel

chisel

I know it's possible to feed IB data into Excel, but what about having IB update a (not sure what it's called) table in Excel. E.g., each row from 1-10 would represent a 5 minute bar, and when five minutes passes, the data in the first row drops off, the existing data moves up a row, and the latest data goes in row 10.

Ideally, I'd like to open TWS and then Excel and have TWS fill in three tables and update it as described above.

IS THIS POSSIBLE? If so, I'd appreciate any leads or programmers who'd be willing to help me. I'm feeding data into Excel now from Qcharts, but if I can do it from TWS without it being too clunky, I'd like to try it.

#13     Sep 14, 2006
  4. feb2006

feb2006

it is!

Have a look to thread 'Tick by Tick data on TWS'. There you can download the zero version of my spreadsheet 'excel-twsv2,01.xls' and the correspondent manual

It's purpose is to chart one instrument of IB in realtime. To fulfill this task a table is filled with realtime data row by row.

You could add another table creating the bar data you are interested in.

What instruments you are looking for? Maybe I add a bar table to my next version.

Regards, Martin

#14     Sep 14, 2006
  5. I use SCMagic for IB data, Sierra Chart and Amibroker for playback and backtesting. Cost for intraday tick data is about $11 per month, minute data should be less and you get a very long history, perfect for back testing or for a playback.

#15     Sep 14, 2006
  6. feb2006

feb2006

Wouldn't 1 minute bars be better? - Think there are a lot of programs to create 5min bars out of 1min data, but the other way round it's impossible, since 1min data are lost in longer time frames.

#16     Sep 14, 2006
  7. dont

dont

I have downloaded the Automate software.

Looks good. But I can't seem to find the file that starts up the IB TWS?

Anyone what its called?

#17     Sep 14, 2006
  8. feb2006, is there an English manual available?

What's the language used in the manual? Is it German?

#18     Sep 14, 2006
  9. mss

mss

Quotein has a feature that is almost identical to what you describe. I believe it is called their QLOG function. They are at www.quotein.com.

#19     Sep 14, 2006
  10. feb2006

feb2006

yeah - Hi Henry - I wrote that zero version piece of software for a German discussion group, so the manual is in German too, but it has got a lot of screenshots, so it might be helpful even though you don't understand the text.

Development goes on - just working on a professional looking real time chart - see screenshot below = total volume + price with some additional info of market direction.

Anybody interested in sharing ideas?

When I should reach a working version perhaps I'll write a manual in English too.

Regards, Martin

#20     Sep 14, 2006