Collapse of the euro is 'inevitable' says French Banking Chief

Discussion in 'Economics' started by pspr, Feb 13, 2010.

1. I don't agree with most of the demands made by the greek farmers and gov't workers. And I don't condone destructive rioting either. Smashing store windows accomplishes nothing.

But you know what? Our Wall Street banksters would have never gotten away with what they did if they were in Greece. The people in Greece don't take shit, unlike us Americans that take it up the a$$ everyday and say "thank you for protecting me."

#51     Feb 14, 2010
  2. gbos

gbos

Makloda the simple answer why they are wealthier than the average is low population density in an area that land has appreciated 500% in the last 20 years. What do you think the farmer's with 100000 square meters of land near the western coast of Peloponnese net worth is? 130K euros lol? Farming has become a secondary income source for many of them. Yes there are very poor people but farmers (on average) are not among those. Anyway I don't consider a 250k bank account a lot of money but maybe I am an above average income person thought my impression from living here is that I am middle class. I am going to put on some teeth now :). Have a nice day.

#52     Feb 14, 2010
  3. Read carefully before you spew crap. Replying without carefully reading what your are replying to is a sign of disorder. It is orange juice made in Greece and exported to Germany that is cheaper in Germany. This is what I wrote and you replied without reading it.

"1. Greek orange juice bottle produced in Greece costs 1.30 there but only 0.85 in Germany. How do you explain that rocket scientist?"

#53     Feb 14, 2010
  4. Fair enough point taken...

#54     Feb 14, 2010
  5. bettles

bettles

I know that performance of the US stock market is inversely correlated with the euro. For example, priced in euros, the US stock indexes are still within a few percent of their highs. So if the euro does fall apart in coming weeks, would that mean another big surge in US stock prices? Likewise, if the euro ultimately "goes to zero" would that imply that US stock prices will ultimately "go to infinity"?

Bettles

#55     Feb 14, 2010
  6. clacy

clacy

Would you rather go to a Greek hospital or a hospital in Mississippi if it's your kid/wife on the line?

Most in medicine look very skeptically at stats reported from most other countries (this is why drugs and devices that are easily passed in Europe often fail miserably to meet the FDA's requirements). Reporting is not standardized around the world just as Greece's financial accounting has been in question, I would bet dollars to donuts that their health reporting is too.

#56     Feb 14, 2010
  7. Greeks have longer lifespans than Americans and Brits. You may question the stats, but I would agree with the stat based on my own observations thru friends and family there and here in the US.

Why is this? While yes, many of their hospitals may not rival those at bigger US cities (not sure about Mississippi) their lifestyle is a lot more healthier. They eat better food and are more active. A lot less stress too. (Unless they're driving)

And they still smoke like crazy.

#57     Feb 14, 2010
  8. clacy

clacy

I don't disagree with them having longer life spans due to a healthier lifestyle.

There is no doubt that most Americans eat themselves into a shorter life.

Quality of health care however, is not even close.

#58     Feb 14, 2010
  9. gbos

gbos

Some of the public hospitals are older , some are modern.

www.at t i konhospital.gr/gal.php

Personally I trust the competence of the doctors here but maybe I am biased.

#59     Feb 14, 2010
  10. During hyperinflation wrecking Weimar Germany stocks went to infinity in local currency but fell from 100 to 2 in foreign currency.

How this translates to today's situation isnt yet all that clear as the judge and his verdict haven't come out yet I would think.

#60     Feb 14, 2010