Collaborating with a programmer to create trading tools/strategies - Have anyone done this?

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Howard, Nov 23, 2019.

1. qlai

qlai

When I am approached to do a project I always tell the client that I myself trade. So what I suggest to them is to make the code highly configurable even if there's no need to. For example, instead of telling me that you are trading SPY with 50/200 MA cross over on 5min chart, I tell them I will create a program which reads parameters from file where they can put a range of values. Just tell me what to parameterize.

Many times same strategy will work on some subset of instruments but will lose money on another subset.

One of the benefits is clients can actually run multiple instances side by side with different parameters.
    The problem with this is that it makes the coding more complex, but I think it's worth it over a long time as market conditions change.

Of course if the developer is proficient with backtesting tools, given the concept, he/she can find some optimal parameters and instruments.

But, imho, there are very few people who have a fully automated (no discretion at all) system that is so unique that no one had ever thought of.
    More likely it's something basic that had been refined over long time to suit their personality, risk parameters, and maybe just a small piece of a larger portfolio of uncorrelated strategies. Nothing that can make the developer a fortune by itself.

#31     Nov 30, 2019
  2. Howard

Howard

I don't doubt that. But I suspect it will take me quite a while to become proficient enough to create something similar to what I currently have. Just have to get started at it though.

Likewise. :)

#32     Dec 1, 2019
  3. Howard

Howard

That was the general idea. That I share my current application and that we move forward together from there. The programmer would obviously gain access to the application and what I have learned in my studies/practice of the financial markets.

But not so sure I'll go down this path anyway...

I think or expect most decent programmers to do this. The problem with the current application is that the code is very poorly documented and everything is strung together as opposed to being split/organized in modules. Thus, it's very hard for a programmer with no experience with the project to get up to speed.

As mentioned, I had a guy do some modifications for me. But another modification I wanted done, he wouldn't touch. Simply because he saw that this particular calculation might affect/mess up other parts of the code and he didn't quite understand how it all fit in this grand puzzle.

#33     Dec 1, 2019
    themickey likes this.
  4. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

I hope this reply is still relevant. I have worked both with a professional coding my stuff for sierra, Ninja and OEC as well as coding my own stuff using CQG.

I think Sierra or multicharts may be the most cost effective way to go and i will be happy to provide you with contact info of the programmer i work with via PM.

#34     Dec 2, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  5. Bernfeld

Bernfeld

I order my consultants only from professional developers. I ordered 8 different EA and indicators (I use a portfolio of strategies to diversify risks) and gained decent experience in this. There are about 5-6 companies on the market that can really do what you want. In my experience, if you do not want to constantly correct the mistakes of developers, be prepared for the fact that the price of such an EA will be from $ 250, depending on the level of complexity of the trading strategy. I had both positive development experience and negative. For example, the last time I ordered on this site: https://www.nordman-algorithms.com/metatrader-programming/ and was pleased with the results. Turn to professional development companies, take the time to look at the reputation of these companies, and I have no doubt that you will find YOUR developers. Think of it as an investment.

#35     Dec 5, 2019
    Howard and CannonTrading_Ilan like this.
  6. God, I know that failure rate well, in fact mine is higher.

#36     Oct 27, 2020
  7. daxydet

daxydet

If I would have been in your place, I would have hired a programmer to get it done for me. Coding is not my cup of tea.

#37     Apr 27, 2021