ColdFusion error on front page

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by chud, Jun 21, 2005.

1. chud

chud

I get the following error on ET's front page:

Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

An error occurred while evaluating the expression:

user_agent = #HTTP_USER_AGENT#

Error near line 1, column 27.

Error resolving parameter HTTP_USER_AGENT

ColdFusion was unable to determine the value of the parameter. This problem is very likely due to the fact that either:

1. You have misspelled the parameter name, or
    2. You have not specified a QUERY attribute for a CFOUTPUT, CFMAIL, or CFTABLE tag.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFSET), occupying document position (1:21) to (1:58).

Date/Time: 06/21/05 22:38:15
    Browser:

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Your browser is not identifying itself when it requests web pages, which will cause problems on pages that require that info in order to render the page properly. You should upgrade to the latest version of your browser to resolve this.

3. I get this one intermittently with ET -- not other sites though. I always run the latest version of Firefox. It clears by itself after a day or so and in the interim I use IE if I have to. No one has really given me a satisfactory answer for the problem yet but heh...wth

4. Same issue here... intermittent (maybe once or twice a week), ET only, Firefox 1.0.4. However, no more browsing with IE for me... not worth the risks. I either pick a sub-URL from the suggestion drop-down menu (such as http://www.elitetrader.com/[b]vb[/b]) or bypass the front page altogether and head straight for the forums. One or the other usually works.

5. chud

chud

Well, I'm using the latest version of Firefox. I agree it's strange that it's not sending a useragent string. Must be a bug in Firefox or something an extension did.

If it was my site, I'd do something like
    <cfparam name="HTTP_USER_AGENT" default="no_agent">
    <cfif http_user_agent is "no_agent">
    Show basic version of page
    <cfelse>

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Ok, considering that it's happening to other people , I just put some code in to take care of this issue. If you notice any other errors, please let me know.