Cold Calling Future Guys:

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ImamicPH, Dec 8, 2005.

1. werd

#21     Dec 8, 2005
  2. What about working as a programmer for a hedge fund to get your foot in the door? You'll probably start off being some trader's b*tch modelling and testing his strategies and doing other mudane stuff, but it would be be a good way to leverage your current experience to get into the industry.

#22     Dec 8, 2005

3. That's essentially what I'm trying to accomplish without going into something labeled a "hedge fund".

From my experiences hedge funds have this stigma attached to them. That you need to be from a Ivy league school. Iwent to Florida International man. It's like Binghamton.

What do you suggest?? emailing hedgefunds my resum?

#23     Dec 9, 2005

4. You guys have to at least shoot me a question to see if I know my stuff.

For the sake of the thread.

#24     Dec 9, 2005

5. So the sharpe ratio should be greater than 1?

#25     Dec 9, 2005
  6. I have many models that I am trading. I won't trade anything under 2. But even 2 is low. My better models are over 4!

#26     Dec 9, 2005

7. Yeah the firm I was with never dealt with sharpes. So this is new to me.

I going to go back this weekend and see if I can find the sharpes in the strategies I've got.

#27     Dec 9, 2005
  8. dac8555

dac8555

Every job i have ever gotten.........I have gotten cold calling. The fact of the matter is that people like other people with drive and who are easy to get along with. The other thing, is that poeple like to do favors for others. for most people, human nature is to help out. Offer to buy the guy luch or something...you would be amazed at the results.

I had a PHD call me today in the morning asking about his research paper on derivatives in CEntral America. He simply asked to take me to lunch if a co worker and i could comment on his ideas.

I felt flattered that he found me and that someone referred me to him. I said "absolutely, how about monday after the market closes". think most people would do the same.

Go for it, see what happens. it is important to meet people face to face.

#28     Dec 9, 2005