Cold Calling Future Guys:

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by ImamicPH, Dec 8, 2005.

1. That already happened to me though.

#11     Dec 8, 2005
  2. Chances are if they are already successful and have money, then they DON'T need you :D

#12     Dec 8, 2005
  3. What are you offering? IF someone gives you money what sort of return can you provide? What is your sharpe? How much will you take in fees?

Can you beat other returns? Their own? Real hedge funds?

#13     Dec 8, 2005

4. First I think I'm a great programmer. Second someone who wants to work 12 hr days.

Return? Beats the market for sure. The backtest results beat most hedge funds. I could give a approx per year percentage but would have to look it up.

Sharpe? Don't know what sharpe is.

I have a screwed up drawdown but it occured once in the last ten years.

Fees? I would be happy with 30% profit.

#14     Dec 8, 2005
  5. No one cares how long you are willing to work, unless you can do something useful. Have you designed your own software to backtest? Where do you get your data from?

Take your best system.

What is your annual percent return? Avg days in trade? what is the stardard deviation of your monthly returns? Are you long term or short term? Did you factor in slippage and commisions?

A drawdown is the biggest % change in equity from peak to valley? what is yours?

Sharpe ratio is your risk adjusted return. Take you average annual return and divide by average annual standard deviation, is it atleast above one?

#15     Dec 8, 2005
  6. I have my own java-based programs that do the backtesting. I get data from the exchanges through somebody like Tradestation or Bloomberg.

Are you referring to one standard deviation of my projected annual returns?

ex.
    Let's say I returned 12% per year. One standard deviation in my returns was 2%
    12/2=6???????????????

#16     Dec 8, 2005
  7. tomcole

tomcole

Another wanna-be trader joker - has no idea about anything except his current job isnt good enough for him.

I sincerely hope his company logs his internet activity and fires him.

#17     Dec 8, 2005

8. Has no idea? Wannabe?

Go ahead and ask me whatever you want?

And I was already a trader.

My job now is better.

#18     Dec 8, 2005
  9. CONR

CONR

And what, you've been a trader since you came out of your big mama's womb?

#19     Dec 8, 2005
  10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

Take your monthly returns, (like you return 2% one month 3.5% the next and so on) add them all up and divide by # of total months. This gives you your average monthly return. Multiply by 12 to get your average yearly return.

Take each of your monthly returns and and subtract your average monthly return, square each number and add all of them together. Then divid by the total number of months and take the square root of that number. This is your standard deviation of your monthly returns. annualize it by mutlipling by the square root of 12.

Divided your average annual return by your annualized standard dev to get your sharpe ratio.

#20     Dec 8, 2005