Coin Flip.

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by WDGann, Oct 26, 2003.

1. You are correct. The only way that money can be made in coin flips is if the wins are larger than the losses. Then, there is a positive expected value. That's where the old saw about cutting losses short and letting your profits run comes in, ad nauseum. But I have no idea why people are using the random entry argument. That is my point. As I essentially noted in a prior post, it is complacent to assume "positive expectancy" (how I have grown to dislike that overused term) with random entries.

#21     Oct 27, 2003
  2. I wonder what the odds are if you have three upbars in a row that the next bar will be up or down? I would think it would be slightly better than 50/50 that it will be an upbar.

#22     Oct 27, 2003
  3. my backtest shows

If you start on 3/11/03

and go short on tails and cut your losses short

and go long on heads and let your profits ride

you would come out ok

and that's just flipping a coin!

imagine what you could do with Magic Gann Squares!!!

#23     Oct 27, 2003
  4. where did he say the payoff was equal??

he didn't.

#24     Oct 27, 2003
  5. Pabst

Pabst

This is a simple debate. If you're r/r is static, i.e. you will always risk x to make 2x ect., your expectancy is even. If your r/r is variable i.e. sometimes your r/r is 1/1, sometimes 5/1 ect. your results depending on either your skill at predicting trends or the more/less than random occurrence of trends will cause a possible fat tail distribution of profits and losses.

To think that by risking x and letting your profits "run" is positive "expectancy" is fallacy. There is a mean reversion that will turn many 2x winners back to a loss before they reach your 5x profit goal. You all can argue as much as you like, but bottom line, random in, set rules out is never a statistical edge.

#25     Oct 27, 2003
  6. pspr

pspr

GG you already have proven you don't understand many things. We are talking about a coin toss. Unless you have a 3 sided coin the the payoff is exactly equal.

#26     Oct 27, 2003
  7. save the pathetic insults.

the coin toss gives you the frequency of win/loss. the payoffs have not been defined.

if the win:loss is 50:50 and the payoffs are equal, obviously this won't make money. however, if the win:loss is 50:50 and the average loss is 1 point and the average gain is 2 points, you make money.

don't give me this, "you don't understand" BS.

#27     Oct 27, 2003
  8. well Pabst, It just requires a simple leap of faith. You must believe what goes up will keep going up and what goes down will keep going down. (there is a slight upward bias, because mkts don't go negative, and you have a huge sales force on Wall Street working for the bulls)

But once we are trading a life of faith, statistics are simply a measure of the obstacles miracles will overcome.

That's why the market is closed from the Sabbath all the way until Sunday services, so traders can learn this stuff.

I think I read somewhere that 90% of all traders don't attend church regularly (they do however pray more on a daily basis than the other 10% of profitable traders.)

#28     Oct 27, 2003
  9. Pabst

Pabst

Brother Profitseer,

I do believe! I'm sure that in one of my lifetime's I'll get it figured out.

#29     Oct 27, 2003
  10. jaan

jaan

post those picks in your chatroom and sell subscriptions of course... :cool:

- jaan

#30     Oct 27, 2003