Coffee futures options question

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by nravo, Aug 3, 2009.

1. nravo

nravo

I have an ATM call, $1.25. I'm in no hurry to close out the trade, but I'd like to know I can, if I wanted to. I can't get a quite, however. Using IB. Quotes for a couple of higher strikes, but not $1.25.

What does one do? Is this a caveat of FO's on IB?

2. heech

heech

This is a caveat of trading options electronically, has nothing to do with IB.

You can definitely get a fill, you just have to do it through the pits... at least if you get a live quote. But even without a live pit quote, if you offer it (electronically) at a fair price, I'm assuming someone will take the contract off your hands.

3. I'm not familiar with IB, but is the strike listed on their software? If you can see the strike and there's not quote, can you send an electronic request for quote (eRFQ)?

4. From what I see, all the ATM options for coffee have markets and my guess is they are quoted by an automated tool so you should have liquidity.

5. heech

heech

Sorry, you're right. I've been trading the serial KCV9 options, and haven't been able to pull those up electronically.

But yes, the regular U and Z options should be available electronically.

6. nravo

nravo

Yeah the ones that are circa ATM have quotes but not the ITMs. eRFQ work for this at IB?

7. There are definitely quotes for the months that have futures, but none of the serial months have options on the screen because for some reason beyond my understanding The Ice does not allow them to be quoted as of yet.

8. nravo

nravo

This is bizarre. How can IB say it allows you to trade KC options, if it doesn't show quotes for two out of three months? (Interactive Brokers are you listening?)

9. heech

heech

Don't talk to Interactive Brokers, talk to ICE. Their decision.

10. It's a fact that the ice doesn't allow serial month optionson the screen maybe they somehow put in orders to the pit?

#10     Aug 4, 2009