Coffee and Orange juice - long term outlook

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by jbtrader23, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Cutten

Cutten

Coffee is looking pretty dire. OJ has done very well, sugar has also had a good run. Any thoughts on the current situation in these commodities?

#51     Jul 21, 2004
  2. I agree that coffee looks dire for longs - good supply and no outlook for cold weather (lotta rain though).

OJ does look good but it seems all technical. Does fewer people on low-carb diets = more demand for OJ? Are the low-carb OJ's going to lure in OJ drinkers? Will the stress of the November election cause more screwdriver drinking? I hope so but I'm not sure what to think. I'm long but don't know how much longer it can hold up.

The COT on sugar shows a lot of longs, despite India potentially turning to imports.

Among the "softs", cocoa looks pretty good here.

#52     Jul 21, 2004
  3. The low carb craze is showing cracks in the armor. In another 6 or 9 months, it will just be seen as another fad diet (like low fat use to be).

The beauty of the play wasn't necessarily the increased demand from ex low carber's. It's the guaranteed price floor due to florida politics. Stocks never get that kind of a price floor.

In terms of coffee, supply and demand always look weakest near the bottom. It may get even more dire with long time coffee growers exiting the business in groves. Of course, that'd be the best time to go in.

#53     Jul 26, 2004
  4. CCLSC

CCLSC

Hi,

This is my very first message on this board so I´d like to say a big HELLO from Germany first.

I am currently trading calls on the coffee and OJ futures. What I´d like to know is if there is any news behind the sharp decline in the OJ during the last 2 days. Is there news behind the drop? Something must have sparked the selling, I guess.

Can anybody tell? Rumours?

Thks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers

CCLSC

#54     Jul 27, 2004
  5. bro59

bro59

If OJ doesn't normally back and fill then this is certainly indicative of a dead-cat for it. Of course, lots of stuff has broken hard in the last few days.

#55     Jul 28, 2004
  6. CCLSC

CCLSC

But what´s the news behind this?

#56     Jul 30, 2004
  7. Seems there is a lot of fruit destroyed by the storms?? Bloomberg just said up to 1/3 of Florida's citrus crops have been ripped off the trees. Will be interesting to see how the market reacts this week.

#57     Aug 16, 2004
  8. If Oj does not go limmit up for days with this catastrophe, nothing will make oj go up.FL and Brazil comprise about 80% of suppply.

#58     Aug 16, 2004
  9. Cutten

Cutten

Opening call is for limit up, no surprise there. I'm just getting an implied price from the options market, will post once I get it. Obviously vol will be through the roof, so be careful.

#59     Aug 16, 2004
  10. market is indeed limit up, do you expect it to keep on going up for the next days?

#60     Aug 16, 2004