Co-worker putting all $ in the S@P

Discussion in 'Trading' started by pma, Apr 25, 2007.

1. pma

pma

Here is an interesting story for you fellas. My co-worker,a pharmacist,was advised by his broker on monday to sell all of his Boeing stock that he has been building for 10 years and buy a load of big S&P contracts. Well,he did just that today. I did not ask how many contracts he bought-but it must be something major. Now-let me tell you this-his broker has got this guy pumped up bigtime!!! When he came into work tonite he was(and is ) as giddy as a schoolgirl with all the cash he is going to make. The question is this-why would his broker advise him-strongly- to unload his awesome performing Boeing stocks???

2. Sounds like 1999 all over again... :D

3. This seems very odd. Does your friend normally invest in futures? Does this represent a significant portion of his portfolio? At least he will have easy access to anti-depressants and sedatives should the broker be wrong. By the way, how is business at that pharmacy?

4. inf000

inf000

every day I am more sad :(

5. pma

pma

Elated-I know nothing about his "broker." The pharmacist I mentioned liquidated ALL of his Boeing stocks. I do not know (yet) if he took all of that money and put it in the index. He seems like a happy camper-very stoked about having his money in the S&P. I really hope it all works out for him,he is a really nice guy.
    P.S.-business is great,we work at a major hospital in Seattle,Wa.

6. hels02

hels02

Well, Boeing has already had a great run... it's not necessarily a bad thing to take profits.

I dunno about putting it ALL into the S&P tho, that's a bit scary since he's at the whim of the entire market. With a 4 year buildup already, it could be a rocky road.

7. This question is meaningless without knowing the total size of the guy's portfolio. Maybe his Boeing stock represents a small portion of his overall portfolio and his broker is bullish. Maybe his broker has some longs he needs to unload.

8. Good thread! He's gonna be rich!!!!

9. Pekelo

Pekelo

Does he know about time decay and rollover in every 3 months?

Timing is everything. He should have used a pullback to go long and no leverage...

10. Awesome call. Easy double from here!

#10     Apr 25, 2007