CNN Poll: Majority want tax increase for wealthy and deep spending cuts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 10, 2011.

1. wjk

wjk

Everyone, and I mean everyone , should pay taxes. I am self-employed. I pay taxes on everything over 600 bucks. Doesn't matter if I get sick or injured. (I get no unemployment if I am sidelined, either), but if I make a measly couple grand in a year I still pay taxes on it, and being self-employed, mine are higher than the average tax payer (those that actually pay taxes). Don't tell me about raising taxes on one group over another. Same rate for everyone. No loopholes, and no more of this class warfare shit.

#31     Aug 11, 2011
  2. everyone does pay taxes.

#32     Aug 11, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

No argument from me here. Why is it neither party is suggesting that our nation's free loaders join the tax rolls?

#33     Aug 11, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

INCOME taxes?

#34     Aug 11, 2011
  5. Various points.

1. Obama-Boehner. Supposedly, Boehner had agreed to a grand bargain that included 800 bill in tax increases and 4.5 till in future spending cuts that eveyone knew would never take effect. Obama got some static from the dems and went back and demanded 400 bill more. By that time, Cantor had pointed out to Boehner that he was about to go over the cliff and take the whole party with him. Obama 's inability to close what was a great deal for him probably will cost him a second term. If he had closed the deal, there would have been no downgrade and the media would have begun demanding that obama's bust be added to Mt. Rushmore.

2. Stimulus, etc. The guy who runs PIMCO, mohamed El Erain, has made this point a few times. We are talking about counter cyclical measures that would be appropriate if we were in a typical cyclical downturn. Unfortuantely, we are not. We are in a structural downturn, brought on by the need to liquidate vast quantities of bad debt run up in the past decades. Running up even more debt seems an odd way to address that issue.

3. Jobs, etc. Obama has been an absolute job killer. Virtually every regulatory or policy measure he has introduced has either killed jobs outright, made employers nervous to hire or invest here or so raised the cost of doing business that growth is impossible. The list is long, eg obamacare, oil drilling moratorium, EPA attack on coal, an NLRB run by far left union thugs, uncertainty in financial regulation, misguided financial regulation, attacking states over illegal immigration, demagoguery over debt ceiling and irresponsible threats of default, etc etc.

Most telling perhaps, the head of his Jobs Commission Jeff Immelt of GE, moved a high tech MRI plant to China. Talk about tone deaf and biting the hand that feeds you.

#35     Aug 11, 2011
  6. wjk

wjk

#36     Aug 11, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

AAA + 1
    Dumbo supporters 0

#37     Aug 11, 2011
  8. "I pay taxes on everything over 600 bucks"

you pay no more federal income tax on that 600 than any other low income person does.

#38     Aug 11, 2011
  9. wjk

wjk

No, but I do pay more FICA at that level. That fact alone means I pay more becasue I am self empolyed. Of course, you knew all that when you responded to my post. You are playing games with the wording of my post while effectively avoiding the issue.

The level I must file at is actually 400. The level that the average earner must file is 5700.

You obviously prefer class warfare, as do all your progressive brethren.

Since you are an expert, do you think it is fair for me to pay more being self employed?

#39     Aug 11, 2011
  10. Ricter

Ricter

That is better.

#40     Aug 11, 2011