CNN Poll: Majority want tax increase for wealthy and deep spending cuts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Not to mention it would throw the us into a 1930 style depression.

#11     Aug 11, 2011
  2. bone

bone

Ric, if Obama had taken Boehner's original offer, which included 'revenue enhancement', it would have been the biggest achievement in his Presidency to date. All of the pressure would have been placed on Boehner. The bill would have passed without Tea Party support but with Dem support. The Dems would have changed the Repub paradigm by getting them to commit to including revenue with any future debt discussions.

IMO, that reality would have been a beltway game changer. Another really poor tactical decision by Obama.

#12     Aug 11, 2011
  3. bone

bone

Your boy tripled our expenditures in Afghanistan. Started Libya. And increased our footprint in the Horn of Africa.

Obama has been quite the warlord.

#13     Aug 11, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

I'll accept your word, no time to go back and look into the revenue enhancement. (I'll guess it was tied to entitlement cuts that democrats won't accept, and republicans can't politically accept, so it was a bit of bluff anyway.) I think it's inevitable, and laughable, that if and when republicans come to power again, they will be implementing tax increases and Keynesian style interventions in the economy. Those will be obfuscated to some degree, so they don't look "liberal", but nevertheless they will get away with them because Americans' memories are short. As the economy improves, thanks to rising effective demand, they'll take credit for it.

#14     Aug 11, 2011
  5. And this is why both dems and repubs despise the Tea Party movement.

#15     Aug 11, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

That's an apples to oranges, irrelavent even down right stupid analogy. The federal government isn't out of a job/income. They're just spending too much. How anyone, with at least the IQ of a Lima bean, can keep defending that as actually necessary is beyond me.

#16     Aug 11, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

So your solution is to continue massive deficit spending so we can have an even worse depression down the road? You're a moron.

#17     Aug 11, 2011
  8. bone

bone

From the UK's Treasury:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/statement_chx_110811.htm

"Those who spent the last year telling us to follow the American example with yet more fiscal stimulus need to answer this simple question: why has the US economy grown more slowly than the UK’s so far this year?

More spending now, paid for by more government borrowing and higher debt, would lead directly to rising interest rates and falling international confidence that would kill off the recovery not support it."

#18     Aug 11, 2011
  9. Ricter

Ricter

You've admitted this week that taxes are too low for some. A few focus on spending only, a few focus on revenue only, and a majority consider both. I know damn well in Canton GA you are not living under a "crushing" tax burden. The only reason you harp on taxes is because you're toeing your party line, the tea party no doubt.

#19     Aug 11, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Too low as in they pay none, yes. But raising taxes on ME isn't going to fix that problem now is it?
    Local taxes, no not particularly. But I'm not complaining or even referring to local taxes. I'm complaining about MY federal income tax and how it is being squandered. Raising MY federal income taxes isn't going to balance the budget Ricter. The increase will only get - squandered.
    I've no doubt you'd like to think so. That way you can justify in your own mind continuing to ignore the reality that we don't have a revenue problem. We have a GOD DAMN SPENDING problem.

#20     Aug 11, 2011