CNN in Iraq -- new report

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Babak, Apr 11, 2003.

1. I think what you're getting tired of is being barraged by opposing views to your oversimplification of things. For example:

This paragraph has to go at or near the top of the "Ignorant Alfonso Statements" list. If 9/11 and Saddam's irrefutable pursuit of nukes are not by themselves cause for serious concern, you've been snorting too much of a certain South American export......And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kuwait and at least one other country (U.A.E. ?) supported the US action. As far as the other neighbors, Syria and Iran aren't exactly America's best friends, Turkey is concerned about the Kurds and wants to be paid megabucks, and Jordan has to ever be mindful of its Palestinian elements and must echo the Arab majority line.
    I am fully aware that many, many people do not share my view. So what? I could care less. Really. As much as you'd like to claim it to be so, I do NOT dismiss others' points of view simply because they disagree with mine. No, the reason I could care less is that I have seen these other "models" you talk about, and none of them, in my opinion, are as equitable and noble in purpose as that of my country. Please explain these other "successful" models, Alfonso.

For starters, "put yourself in the shoes" of the Iraqis right now and tell me that they're not going to be better off because we removed Saddam. Secondly, I have never claimed that the US hasn't made mistakes, serious mistakes. We are not perfect, no doubt about it. But overall we have done more good than bad. What other superpower in history has ever done so much for so many, asked for so little in return, and shown such restraint? You also seem to have forgotten a little thing called "The Cold War," which was the root cause of a lot of what you call our "destructive meddling." We did bad things during those times, yes, all over the globe, but we did them because we thought we had to in order to offset the Soviet and Communist threat. We supported Saddam earlier because he was seen as a buffer against Iran and militant Islam. You make it sound like everything we've done overseas has been rooted in evil aspirations.

"Don't Cry For me Argentina! The truth is I never left you...." Good luck to you as well.

#31     Apr 13, 2003