CNBC's Ron Insana closing his Fund of Hedge Funds

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Aug 19, 2008.

1. No, just Goodboy.

#51     Aug 21, 2008
  2. I know that SAC, RenTech and Third Point were up while Insana ran the FoF.

#52     Aug 21, 2008
  3. I don't even know what that means. But I do believe that having a casual disregard for mounting and excessive costs is one of the definitions of dumb money. Care for another slice of blue sky? It's really delicious.

#53     Aug 21, 2008
  4. I didn't realize there were 2+20 FoFs. I can't imagine why Insana failed!

A 50% return from the target fund nets 32% to the investor when you pay 20/20; 20% to the rainmaker and 20% to the FoF, excluding management fees. You're paying a 36% performance fee. Add in the 2x mgmt stroke on notional and you're up to 40%+.

2+20 won't get you into SAC or RenTech. Their fees will cost you nearly 60% on high-water.

So you're paying 40%-60% for lowering the barrier to entry on historical +ev/alpha? WTF do I sign!!

#54     Aug 21, 2008
  5. You know what, you're just jealous and bitter. That's all.

I don't have a high opinion of Insana or the financial industry in general. But I'm not going to bash the concept of what he tried to do. He was able to make his connections worth something to investor who wanted in on the elite hedge funds but did not have access. That's all. He failed because he obviously charged too much and his numbers were not appealing, otherwise he would have raised at least half a bil in my opinion.

Try to do the same, if you want, but somehow, I doubt you have access to any hedge fund that any random Joe Shmoe does not.

#55     Aug 22, 2008
  6. I wasn't specifically bashing the concept. But he is a media personality who got in over his head and then compounded it by attempting to overcharge for what he was trying to do. (No wonder GGallin/surfer came to his defense.) That translates into insult added to injury to whomever he managed to snare. Now you go ahead and defend that kind of conduct if it makes you feel warm all over.

#56     Aug 22, 2008
  7. Note how the allocation in Renaissance was in the REIF fund - their Institutional Equities Fund. This fund is NOT their famed (and closed) Medaillon fund, but rather a L/S equities fund with a (from what I recall) very mediocre track record.

#57     Aug 22, 2008
  8. Makes me feel warm all over? Oh wow.

Dude, whatever, feel free to spend your time bashing him, I'm sure he cares. I just tried to educate you as you obviously have little idea about how the industry is.

#58     Aug 22, 2008
  9. Groovy, dude. Thanks for the education. No doubt, I got what I paid for.

#59     Aug 22, 2008
  10. Really now.
    Not bashing the concept?
    And what evidence have you provided that would indicate that this "concept" has worked with others, and proven otherwise, celebrity status or no celebrity status?

I think that it's pretty clear to everyone that has participated on this thread that you have very little understanding of FoF's and the concept of diversification and access to the SAC and Omega's of the world. Yet, you bash, bash, and bash away on an anonymous message board.

Did Ron Insana pull a Barry Bonds on you and not say "hello" to you and shake your hand when you were out with friends in the City one night?

Sounds like you have issues, dude.

#60     Aug 22, 2008