CNBC tries to discredit market action by PPT

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by trendy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. The ES futures went limit down overnight the day after MLK. The Asian markets were crashing at the time. All through the night someone, or something, was supporting the price 1 tick above the previous limit down value, after the market came off limit down. The market tested this level approximately 5 or 6 consecutive times. It was clear as day that someone was buying every single futures contract available at that price. At 8:30ET the same day the Fed lowered the discount and fed funds rate and the market soared the rest of the day.

I save my charts from each trading day but unfortunately, my chart doesn't include the data from the wee hours, just the regular trading session. I should have saved it because I'll probably never see something like that again. The PPT does exist. Anyone who thinks otherwise is very naive.

#11     Nov 18, 2008
  2. Agreed with the 'moron' comment.

It's not a question of if they exist or not. I did hear from some people that they were active in October, which is why things weren't worse.

#12     Nov 18, 2008
  3. Mvic

Mvic

If the PPT do not exist and have not been actively intervening in the futures the last several month my grandma is a kipper! I have been watching market action for 25 years and there is no doubt in my mind that some sort of intervention has been going on with obvious prior knowledge of Fed and Treasury actions (if I was any kind of statistical whiz and such odd could be calculated I am sure that the odds of market action unfolding as it has prior to significant Fed/treasury announcements would be astronomical), call it PPT or the Fed's/Paulson's go to broker or whatever you want. In fact if you embrace this belief and can spot the action (such as that alluded to by a previous poster) there is actually an edge to be had there.

#13     Nov 18, 2008
  4. hughb

hughb

You really showed him! Wow, you called him a moron! You da man! I could never have the courage to sit anonymously behind a computer and call people moron. What strength of character!

If there's a plunge protection team, howcome the market plunges? Must be in all dem documents you non-morons have.

#14     Nov 18, 2008
  5. Mvic

Mvic

Not all plunges are created equal :D

#15     Nov 18, 2008
  6. There absolutely is. A flee can go for a ride on an elephants back for quite a while before being blown off.

#16     Nov 18, 2008
  7. MKTrader

MKTrader

Officially, they've never said anything about buying. And PPT is just a nickname given by the public. Do they buy? Who knows.

On the other side of the fence you have a huge number of alleged naked short transactions coming from offshore

#17     Nov 18, 2008
  8. nkhoi

nkhoi

that is their job description, buying.

#18     Nov 18, 2008

9. Correct. That's when the P/E went to crazy levels that weren't even seen in 1929 (see chart). Since the 1990s the market has been manipulated like never before. It's also partially due to lots of credit being given out (which in itself could be deemed a manipulation).

As can be seen in the chart, it was only in the 90s that the P/E stayed above 20 (oversold) for a sustained amount of time (i.e. years). Every time before, when it hit a P/E of 20, the market corrected the oversold condition (in 1929 and in 1987).

[​IMG]

#19     Nov 18, 2008
  10. MKTrader

MKTrader

#20     Nov 18, 2008