CNBC tipoff

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mrpace, Feb 25, 2003.

1. mrpace

mrpace

I agree, that on face value, his comment could have been taken either way. BUT, when you analyze the current economic and political climate, there's no way the CC # was going to come in way above expectations....No way...

#21     Feb 26, 2003
  2. Tide31

Tide31

It's just ridiculous that ANYONE would get the CC# before the public. Especially with the SEC's push to level the playing field e.g. - Reg FD (Full Diclosure) which states that all investors must receive 'relevant' info on an even and 'non-selective' basis. Are all journalists restricted from making trades or speaking to their brokers for the 15-30 minutes that their staff has the info??

Maria is so out, the only time I watch CNBC is in the AM to see Martha MaCallum!!:p

#22     Feb 26, 2003
  3. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

so with that being said... do you feel that you were the only person thinking this???

#23     Feb 26, 2003
  4. CNBC ? Never hear of it.

#24     Feb 26, 2003
  5. Pabst

Pabst

CC is compiled by a private org. called the Conference Board. The # is not a Federal gov't. release like payroll or PPI. Therefore the number is not top secret.
    Some of you may remember several years ago when the Labor Dept's web site mistakenly posted unemployment on Thurs. before the regular Friday morning release. The market went fucking bonkers as those lucky few who were surfing the webs most boring site came upon a nugget of gold.

#25     Feb 26, 2003
  6. mrpace

mrpace

I suppose so, seeing as the futures didn't make a peep for the minute or so after Mr. Ted's comments. But, when the number was 'officially' released, the futures dropped rather markedly.....

#26     Feb 27, 2003